Author Topic: Train Of Thought - new Dream Theater  (Read 5678 times)

Offline Rene

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • eh?
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line
Train Of Thought - new Dream Theater
« on: November 12, 2003, 10:00:43 am »
Over the last few weeks I heard a number of people comment that the new Dream Theater album Train Of Thought sounds quite a bit different than the band's previous albums.  The first question that came to mind was, how did they know?  Security has been pretty tight on this one.  I now know how, and why they thought it sounded different.

It seems that decoy copies of songs with the same titles as those on the album were deliberatley "leaked" into the file sharing networks.  I read somewhere that now that the album is released a lot of people are discovering that these songs they had downloaded are not the new DT album at all.  Totally different!   The real Train Of Thought picks up right where Six Degrees left off (literally) and is unmistakenly Dream Theater as we all know and love.

So now the question is,  who is really playing on those decoy songs?  I wonder if their secret identity will now be revealed?  Maybe it was some other band who wanted to get attention by putting their music out there disguised as Dream Theater.  Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
ProgRoots, Sundays @ 7pm Pacific
on The Dividing Line

Offline ich bin besser

• Representing Germany
    • View Profile
Re:Train Of Thought - new Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 12:54:16 pm »
I heard the band is called Superior and the album Younique.
Just looked it up on AMG, and obviously, itīs a release from 1998 (which sounds kind of strange to me. Old release, and now as a fake for DT?).

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80311080805371468&sql=Atcen97i0krrt

"These are the mean little views of someone with the social grace of duckweed."
My updated music list

Offline Mary

• DLBN DJ
  • Rock Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Underdog Prog - A Progressive Music Broadcast
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 03:32:08 pm »
Boy, someone went to a lot of trouble didn't they?

Well, after hearing Rob's amazing DT show last night, I am HOOKED! It's awesome to hear them again, sounding better than ever  ;D

Grrrl  8)
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Frank Zappa ~

Underdog Prog
Saturdays 4-7 pm Pacific

Offline Paulk1

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 06:17:40 pm »
All i can say is awsome, the decoy tracks were in fact Superior, i bought that cd by the way cause it sounded pretty good, and its not bad. I also really like the ACT last epic is a great cd, anyone should check it out and let me know what you guys think. I'm in a band called DARKER im the drummer. Anyways i might do some other projects as well, so keep your eyes and ears open  ;)

Offline posmaster

• For Fraternity, Liberty, and my Llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 07:12:02 pm »
It's official - Train of Thought has surpassed Scenes From a Memory in my heart as my favorite DT studio album (still nothing comes close to Live Scenes from New York)

In The Name of God and Endless Sacrifice are my early favorites.

Offline Joel

• Quentin...Quentin...where are you?
    • View Profile
    • Interstellar Overdrive: The Website
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 12:57:41 pm »
Thanks Posy. After listening to your archive, you saved me a little cash. TOT does nothing for me, except maybe annoy. James sounds constipated, the rest of the guys seem like there's a contest to see who can play the fastest. I really like a lot of their older material, but TOT is, to me, an uninspired, unemotional wankfest. Only my opinion.

I will agree with Posy on one thing though, Live Scenes from NY is incredible. One of my favorite DVDs.

Offline FireBlade

• DLBN DJ
  • Play it loud!
    • View Profile
    • My forums are here
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 02:48:06 pm »
Just because a player has a distorted tone doesn't mean the chord structure isn't as complex as anyone elses.  Petrucci is a master of his instrument, as are all these guys.  I can see why the so called 'classic' prog fan wouldn't like it, coz it's essentially metal with complex parts and time sigs, but i'm a metal head from way back, so I dig it, big time!

Offline moondog

• HH, CE, S, DN, JA, SH, NDV, MP...
    • View Profile
    • The Latest News
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 01:12:53 am »
I'm with Posy on this one. It's sooooo mighty.

8)
--
-----------------------------------------
frank@thedividingline.com

Join me at www.thedividingline.com
Friday nights 9PM Eastern for
The Friday Night Freakout!
-----------------------------------------

Offline Mary

• DLBN DJ
  • Rock Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Underdog Prog - A Progressive Music Broadcast
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 11:20:52 am »
M
I
G
H
T
Y
 ;D
 8)
 :P
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Frank Zappa ~

Underdog Prog
Saturdays 4-7 pm Pacific