Author Topic: I would like to join...  (Read 7281 times)

Offline cambler

• DLBN DJ
  • Never trust a naked bus driver!
    • View Profile
    • Christopher Ambler Photography
I would like to join...
« on: July 28, 2007, 06:42:29 pm »
I filled out the form earlier last week for wanting to join with a show, but have not heard anything yet, so I figured I'd also join the message boards and introduce myself.

I'm Christopher Ambler, and have been a fan of progressive music since, oh, 1980 or so when, at the age of 13, I discovered an 8-track of Emerson Lake and Palmer's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and Yes's "Relayer" in my garage (you know, those 8-tracks that my dad never listened to anymore). I'd already been a huge fan of electronic music, and find it ironic that I knew Rick Wakeman through his solo albums long before I'd ever heard of Yes.

By day, I'm Chief Software Strategist for Demand Media, and my free time is taken-up making my own music and photography - but having put myself through college on-air (about ten years of top-40 experience. It was rough, but it paid the rent and tuition), I miss it. This seems the ideal outlet, and being an Internet geek (I've been working on the Internet since about '87 - yes eighty-seven), I'm quite familiar with the technology.

Any adult supervision possible for the process? Should I just put together a 2-hour-or-so audition show? If so, do I email a link to a large MP3, or post up a link here? I don't mind auditioning in public :-)

Offline Rene

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • eh?
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line
Re: I would like to join...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:43:47 pm »
Hi Cambler, welcome

Shawn is away on vacation and that's why you have not been answered yet. I expect you will hear something later this coming week.

Rene
ProgRoots, Sundays @ 7pm Pacific
on The Dividing Line

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:57:39 am »
Sorry for the delay - I have just returned and am catching up on emails.  Just sent out the info to you privately and you should see it now.  I'm psyched about the concept and I'm sure the listeners will be too!
--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Offline Mary

• DLBN DJ
  • Rock Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Underdog Prog - A Progressive Music Broadcast
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:12:42 pm »
Welcome Cambler!

Just wanted to suggest you stop by some show's chat rooms and say hello!

It's fun :)
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Frank Zappa ~

Underdog Prog
Saturdays 4-7 pm Pacific

Offline cambler

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:40:34 am »
Now comes the fun part.

I programmed my demo show, with two distinct problems. First, it clocks in at 2:30:00 without breaks. I wanted a two-hour demo show, and it'll run closer to three. I suspect I'll just cut a few songs.

But... my second problem - there are so many great songs that fit within my genre range that I want to cover that I feel conflicted. How far do I diverge from "classic" prog into the crossover? Will a crossover tune that straddles the genre line be seen as something interesting, or something terribly off-topic?

Not that I'm lamenting this - this is a great challenge. I'll make my final decision tonight and record the show and likely have it off to Shawn late tonight.

Shawn, should I just send you the link, or is it acceptable to post the link here, too, to get feedback from those much more experienced in this sandbox than I?

Offline cambler

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 12:01:52 pm »
Well, the audition show is in Shawn's hands... and I find I'm actually nervous about his reaction! Imagine that :-)

Offline cambler

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:07 am »
Hot damn! Approved! I'll be going on after I get back from vacation, first week next month (so show second week, I suspect).

I'm thrilled! :-)

Offline endtje

• DLBN - Feel the joy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:01:38 am »
Hot damn! Approved! I'll be going on after I get back from vacation, first week next month (so show second week, I suspect).

I'm thrilled! :-)
Hi Christopher, concratulations on passing Shawn's criteria  ;D. What's the show going to be like? Any theme you are focusing on?

Cheers,

JP