Author Topic: A return to the most uncivil of civilizations  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Dana

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
    • Links to me...
A return to the most uncivil of civilizations
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:14:49 am »
DLBN folks,

Well, for those of you that don't know, I've made it out of the wilderness.  The summer was interesting and, to say the least, wild (in every sense).  Working for the forest service was a brand new experience that I really enjoyed, even considering my internet-less condition.  Well, I had dial-up when I was at home.  We won't get started on the torture that THAT was.  I would have been better off with nothing.

Anyway, I feel fully returned to civilization thanks to the Rush concert at Madison Square Garden a few nights ago.  As usual, Rush left me questioning the nature of gods and the creation of the universe.  They basically took the house down.  That said, I'm on the east coast now!  I'm currently living in northwestern Connecticut, teaching and living at a boarding school.  Anyone seeing great prog shows in the area should drop me a line...I'm always game!  When, of course, I'm not burdened with work, which brings me to the next matter...

...sad as it makes me to say it, I'm afraid I simply won't be able to continue my show.  I know my tenure was brief (and yet totally fulfilling for me!), but considering the all-encompassing nature of my work here - I literally live and breathe boarding school students, from living in a dorm to being a teacher, a dorm parent, and an athletics coach - simply doesn't allow for any DJ time. The last thing I want to do is put together a half-assed show or, worse yet, find my show interrupted by any of the usual freshman boys' antics, such as:

-Mr. Jackson I lost the key to my room again...will you let me in?!

-Mr. Jackson, Bobby threw a rotten apple in my bed again!

-Mr. Jackson, there is shaving cream all over the hallway again!

Think of some scenarios on your own!  Its fun and almost impossible to come up with one that hasn't, or won't, happen!  The joy!  But, I digress...

...so, it seems wildly unfair to hold onto my highly coveted, late night Monday slot (haaa, ok, THAT is pretty funny) when I'm just not going to be able to fill it.  I've already said hi to a few people in the chat room and plan on being a partially-contributing member of DLBN society (Hell, you guys give me all my new tunes!), but it looks like Progressive Concepts is taking a nose dive.  Perhaps some day in the future, when I finally get fed up, throw a kid out a second story window, and graciously take my leave of the education profession, I will resurrect it's former, graveyard-shift glory.  Until then, though, I'll just have to see you all around the chatroom...

Dana

Offline The Professor

• DLBN DJ
  • I am not a llama, I am a FREE MAN!
    • View Profile
    • Retune The Sky
Re: A return to the most uncivil of civilizations
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:48:41 am »
Ah, man.  Well first, glad you enjoyed being way out there for a summer.  Everybody ought to try that at least once!

Second, the job you are doing, as I know more or less first hand, is a job worth doing and doing well.  Give it your all!  Sorry if you feel too swamped to continue with the late-night DJ heroics...I get that feeling from time to time as well...but do drop by during an evening chat sometime and renew acquaintance.

BTW, your post reminded me I haven't heard Toy Matinee in awhile, so now I'm having another listen to your last show!