Author Topic: Anyone into Opeth?  (Read 5645 times)

BeardedMike

Anyone into Opeth?
« on: September 11, 2003, 05:06:28 pm »
I'm starting to get into them. At first the cookie monster vocals were a bit of a trow off for me but then I started  becoming very found of them. I mean these guys are really solid in fact I feel like their a little more solid then Dream Theater. *docks from flying objects* Anyhow,  what are your opinions, thoughts, ect?

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
Re:Anyone into Opeth?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 02:22:43 am »
I have heard a couple of their tracks and they're not bad.  I didn't stay for the accoustic set when I saw them live with Alistair.  We wanted to get back on the road ASAP and lucky for us, the Tree started first.  They're not a bad band though although I understand they are a bit harsh at times (opeth)
--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Buddy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 03:25:49 am »
* cookie monster *  vox .... pleez correct me if i am wrong ... but i think i crowned that term   aboot   9 months ago in the Matinee  ..  they really did sound like the cookie monster from Sesame Street ..  and now it seems the term has "caught on " !!!! hahahahahaha !! hor hor hor

Offline Joel

• Quentin...Quentin...where are you?
    • View Profile
    • Interstellar Overdrive: The Website
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 08:05:30 am »
I think their Damnation CD is one of the best albums of ought-three. The acoustic show was very good. I haven't checked out any of their older material, but my 41 year old ears find most metal kinda harsh, and I a little old for Cookie monster  ;)

Offline Flamjam

• "Limitations are usually self-inflicted"
    • View Profile
    • Flamjammer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 04:07:36 pm »
Opeth rules. Yeah, the "cookie monster" vocal thing takes some time getting used to - but the outstanding musicianship far outweighs the "harshness" of the vocals.

"Deliverance" is a great rockin' CD. "Damnation" is a diversion for the band: No growling, no harsh metal.

It's ALL GOOD  :)
Flamjammer - the band

Opeth66

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 05:22:40 am »
I started getting into Opeth about three years ago with the release of Blackwater Park.   This album is an absolute masterpiece!   Since this time I've picked up all of their albums and rank them at the top of my favorite bands list.  I'm 38 and I appreciate talent,  give these guys a chance--they will grow on you.  Truly an epic Band.

BG >:(

Pontemonti

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 09:43:14 am »
I have "only" got Damnation, Deliverance and Still Life so far and all of them are absolutely brilliant. I generally don't like growls, but Opeth does them in a good way...

Those who haven't heard Opeth should check out Deliverance. Excellent cd...and if you can't stand the cookie monster vocals - try Damnation, a great prog rock album!

Offline Druid

• Chineese Water Torture
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 07:00:05 am »
When I first heard them I thought Dikembe Mutumbo was their lead singer...he's a basketball player that sounds exactly like the cookie monster when he talks, for those that don't know him.  I do like this band though and dig their musicianship.  The Moor is likely my favorite song of theirs.
Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery!"

90 125

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 09:37:43 pm »
I think opeth is a good band. They have some progr infuence, i think that's pretty good. Actually my sister and me were asking how the damnation cd was...So im grateful with all of you, and ill trust in most of your opinions...lol

the morning rise cd, is wow! lol,,,,i think its cool! try "Black Rose Inmortal", nice song!