Author Topic: Hooked on The Dividing Line  (Read 16344 times)

Offline posmaster

• For Fraternity, Liberty, and my Llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Hooked on The Dividing Line
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2003, 08:05:17 pm »
I also liked that I heard a lot of stuff I was into like Devin Townsend / Spock's Beard / Ayreon and was able to chat with people who were also fans of that stuff

Offline moondog

• HH, CE, S, DN, JA, SH, NDV, MP...
    • View Profile
    • The Latest News
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2003, 04:04:11 am »
I'd say the list is as follows:

...Izz

Uh, not to get too technical or anything but didn't we see Izz at ProgWest before they got into DLBN rotation? ???

Just curious.

-
--
-----------------------------------------
frank@thedividingline.com

Join me at www.thedividingline.com
Friday nights 9PM Eastern for
The Friday Night Freakout!

Gruno

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2003, 08:15:40 am »
I was one of the unfortunate people who witnessed IZZ 'perform' at ProgWest. I caught nothing of their alleged greatness from that show. Many seem to have found some existance of worth from their performance but not me. Upon hearing some tracks from their cd's played on some shows here, I made the decision to put them in the same category as TILES and A.C.T.: the category of "CD's that I will NEVER buy".

--- GRUNO ---

Offline Jairo

• Drummers do it better
    • View Profile
    • My site in my space.com
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2003, 11:25:10 am »
Frank (Saturday) wrote:

Uh, not to get too technical or anything but didn't we see Izz at ProgWest before they got into DLBN rotation? ???

Just curious.

-

Well yeah, but if you are reallly technical about it, I'd have to say the first time I heard IZZ was on the Progwest webpage where they had some clips of the bands that were to perform on the festival. Even though I was one of the very fortunate guys who witnessed a great live performance by a great band (hiya Gruno!..lol  ;D) and got hooked on them 8), their first effort and other tiny bits (interviews, specials, inside stuff, etc.) have been provided by DBLNs DJ's, so technically or not I will include IZZ on my list  ;)

Peace
Jairo

...I cannot feel her hate, I feel her needing...

Alistair

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2003, 12:45:13 pm »
Fair enough Gruno.  However, myself and others feel that very same way about NVD.  When he stays behind the kit, where he belongs, he shines.  When he tries to write and sing, he is nothing better than average.

- A

I was one of the unfortunate people who witnessed IZZ 'perform' at ProgWest. I caught nothing of their alleged greatness from that show. Many seem to have found some existance of worth from their performance but not me. Upon hearing some tracks from their cd's played on some shows here, I made the decision to put them in the same category as TILES and A.C.T.: the category of "CD's that I will NEVER buy".

--- GRUNO ---

Gruno

Re:Hooked on an New Venereal Disease
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2003, 01:21:48 pm »

Fair enough Gruno. However, myself and others feel that very same way about NVD. When he stays behind the kit, where he belongs, he shines. When he tries to write and sing, he is nothing better than average.

This affects me how...?

It is funny when people think that because I am friends with musicians that they feel apologetic towards me for them not liking their output. Or they feel I will be put off by their comments. Not at all. I actually do not care who likes what. One thing to note: these musicians do not need people around them who are only into saying "yes" or "that is the best". I pride myself in my honesty with these guys. I can openly tell them which songs I think are good and which seem to miss the mark.

--- GRUNO ---

who is "NVD"?  who is "NVD"?  who is "NVD"?  who is "NVD" ?

Offline Rene

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • eh?
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2003, 04:07:27 pm »
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I defend their right to express it. No one has to agree. Izz happens to be one of the more popular bands around The Dividing Line, so Gruno's opinion about them is shared by a minority. In fact, he may be alone. There's a lot of music he plays that I don't care for, but there are those who like it, so I applaud him for bringing variety to the station. No one has to listen if they don't want to.

People come to The Dividing Line to celebrate the music they love with others who share their passion. But no two of us are exactly alike in our tastes. We just have to be sure to respect others and not put them down for liking something we don't. That's the line we don't want crossed. Not that we're all so fragile we can't take a little ribbing now and then...but everyone has their limit and if there's a chance a negative comment could be construed as a personal attack, it is probably one of those things that are better left unsaid.

;)
ProgRoots, Sundays @ 7pm Pacific
on The Dividing Line

Gruno

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2003, 05:29:18 pm »
Totally agree Rene. Said very well, I might add!

--- GRUNO ---

Offline SHMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2003, 05:09:04 am »
So many, some of which I've heard before and forgot about. Also some new stuff, all I think about now is PIG FARM ON THE MOON!!  At first listen!!
Walking The Fields Of Sorrow

Alistair

Re:Hooked on an New Venereal Disease
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2003, 09:18:14 am »
Gruno, I think you missed my point.  You clearly don't like prog and then you bash one of the biggest prog bands currently being played on this station.  You put that out there to get a reaction and then you don't understand why you got one.  Forget it.

- A ???

Fair enough Gruno. However, myself and others feel that very same way about NVD. When he stays behind the kit, where he belongs, he shines. When he tries to write and sing, he is nothing better than average.

This affects me how...?

It is funny when people think that because I am friends with musicians that they feel apologetic towards me for them not liking their output. Or they feel I will be put off by their comments. Not at all. I actually do not care who likes what. One thing to note: these musicians do not need people around them who are only into saying "yes" or "that is the best". I pride myself in my honesty with these guys. I can openly tell them which songs I think are good and which seem to miss the mark.

--- GRUNO ---

who is "NVD"?  who is "NVD"?  who is "NVD"?  who is "NVD" ?

Offline kravitz

• am i alone in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2003, 11:55:07 am »
Rene wrote: We just have to be sure to respect others and not put them down for liking something we don't.

Does that mean I can't call Gruno a little punk for liking Kiss?? C'mon now!! Ok, fine, I won't say his musical tastes are lower than dog snot for liking the makeup queens. In fact, I will even restrain from saying "lyrics for dockworkers" when I hear one of their tracks.

Offline joe

• mecka leka hi mecka hiney ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2003, 01:08:13 pm »
What hooked me was Procupine Tree's "Lips of Ashes" that Shawn played on his show last Thanksgiving weekend. There are so many artists played on the station that I'd never heard of before including Spock's Beard, Toy Matinee, etc.
I thought that "prog" (or call it whatever you like) was dead. Looks like it's just back underground.

Hey Gruno don't feel bad becuase you like Kiss. I remember when I was 12 years old I had a lot of friends that liked them too!  8)

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2003, 03:29:05 pm »
It's funny, "Trains" was the song that addicted me to PT.  At the time I thought it was one of the coolest songs I had heard.  While I still like it, I'd say it's one of my least favorites now.  The hand clapping is totally unnecessary! :)  Although, it was extremely cool to see them play Trains live at the end of the PT show in seattle.  That was an unexpected surprise.  I was hoping for Tinto Brass, but Trains was a close second. :)
--
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Sim

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2003, 01:33:58 pm »
It's easy to get hooked on TDL when you love prog as much as I do. I like also a mixture of variety with each of the broadcasts helps keep it interesting. The 24 hr. feed is the best prog station ever, and just more ' iceing on the progressive cake'. Thanks for introducing me to these new bands that I probably would not have heard if not for TDL;
      IZZ
      Kevin Gilbert
      Simon Collins
      Devin Townsend
      Atticus Fault

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2003, 01:48:45 pm »
I'm glad you like the feed!  Out of all the programming we have here this is something I don't hear mentioned that much.  There seem to be a large number of ppl who listen to it so I guess that's a good sign.  I think the jump up in sound quality may have contributed to that but I'm not sure.  

Just as an update as to the tech situation with the 24 hour feed, our server admin is writing new software which should increase the randomness of the feed.  Promos will be inserted ever 2 to 5 songs (station ids etc), and scheduling software will enable us to run some of the larger epics in the feed.  As it stands now, when the automated feed takes over between two live shows, if Supper's Ready started playing that would cause some problems. :)  The scheduling software will allow us to program in huge prog epics to be played during off hours.  Right now as it stands, the longest song in there is 10 minutes I think.
--
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl