Author Topic: Calprog... We all need some light now!!  (Read 11729 times)

Offline Jairo

• Drummers do it better
    • View Profile
    • My site in my space.com
Calprog... We all need some light now!!
« on: July 04, 2004, 12:04:53 pm »

OH COME ON!!!  IT'S WAY PAST NOON AND STILL NO POSTS ABOUT THE SHOW.... WE ALL NEED TO KNOW, PLEASE, PLEASE.... TELL US SOMETHING

Jairo
...I cannot feel her hate, I feel her needing...

Alien Love Child

Re:Calprog... We all need some light now!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 12:58:36 pm »
AWESOME

Offline PapaJ

• Matineers Unite!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 01:39:25 pm »
I just got back and I'm totally spent. I don't know how it could have been a more wonderful experience, it was just incredible in every way. The people were amazing, the day was packed with music, and the bands wer nothing short of phenominal.

I'm going though some of the recordings already. If I can get permission, and the radio station is working (I heard it was broken!), I'll go on the air tonight in Rene's spot and play some stuff that will make you sorry you missed it (if you DID!).

Offline Rayna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 01:57:33 pm »
The show was amazing.  Mark and I just got back.  Mark will be talking about the show when he goes on for Sounds of Muzak at 4pm PST.  See you all in chat then!!

Offline grinch

• the eternal optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 02:17:47 pm »
allright:
first: Jim- I want to let you know how much I appreciate all the hard work you put into making this happen. You were so busy keeping all the plates spinning yesterday that I didn't want to interrupt you then, so I'll tell u now. This was a HUGE undertaking, and from my view, the results were absolutely splendid. You are a true fan, and the love you have for this music has benefitted us all. Kudos to you and your lovely family.

secondly: To all my dividing line brethren- what a joy it was to meet you all. You made what could have been just another concert experience- albeit a very good one- into something I will remember and treasure for a long time. Internet communities can be sketchy places, but the ppl I've met through this station have turned out to be some of the most interesting and genuine people I've come across in a very long time. For a cynic like me, that is a VERY big admission to make, and I am proud to call myself a DLBNer.

third: the bands.
WOW! Thats really all I can say at this point. I'll post more detailed thoughts later, but for now, all I can say is wow!
the highlights for me were Izz and Neals set, but all the bands were excellent. And let me just say how much i enjoyed the whole "classic prog cover" concept. When Izz whipped out that "In The Cage/Suppers Ready" medley, I was truly grateful to have a change of shorts in the van. What a great way to spend a day.

Thanks to all of you for making this 4th of July weekend very special for me....
It looks just like a Telefunken U-47....

Offline jF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 03:09:34 pm »
What a great weekend!! Meeting the DLBN people was my favorite part of the festivities...we even had surprise guests! Mark and Rayna (who knew?) BTW, BobL needs to be elevated to patron saint status here at the DLBN...Once again, THANK YOU Bob!!

The Music:
Reviews are not my strong point but I'll give you my personal favorite moments- Izz doing the Genesis medley (In The Cage,Suppers Ready *New Jerusalem part*) All of the Enchant set including the YES cover of Tempus Fugit (these guys rock!!) Neal Morse doing Bridge Across Forever, and with Ryo and Nick doing The Doorway!!!  The Mike Keneally band doing Kevin Gilbert's Shadow Self (the song lyrics are still bouncing around the inside of my noggin)
What a weekend, If I forgot to mention somebody or something that happened please forgive me, PJ didn't let me get to bed till about 2:30 am after "load out" was completed(I'd do it all over again for the Big guy) I'm still not completely awake yet and it's 4:00pm on Sun.

jF
-Jeff-

Offline moondog

• HH, CE, S, DN, JA, SH, NDV, MP...
    • View Profile
    • The Latest News
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 03:16:15 pm »
The mini Keneally acoustic gig at the hotel pool was the best part of an already...shall I say...MIGHTY day!

-f
--
-----------------------------------------
frank@thedividingline.com

Join me at www.thedividingline.com
Friday nights 9PM Eastern for
The Friday Night Freakout!
-----------------------------------------

Offline Joel

• Quentin...Quentin...where are you?
    • View Profile
    • Interstellar Overdrive: The Website
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 04:15:21 pm »
Frank,

Chris got a picture of you with your jaw on the pavement watching MK poolside ;-)

We just got home, when I get a chance I'll get the pics online, but what a weekend... more to come :-)

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 05:57:57 pm »
Yeah, stay tuned for a full report from me (and pictures) as well.

Un-friggin-believable!

So glad I got to meet so many of you guys. It was truly a special weekend. The poolside singalong with John Galgano of IZZ and then Mike Keneally (and Duke, of course!) was incredible.

Thanks to PJ, Bobble, jF and all the people who worked the show.
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline Duke

• Find a better way of life.....DLBN! ;)
    • View Profile
    • The Genesis Tablature Project
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 11:09:48 pm »

For those of you who don't know, I've been a prg fan for 13 years, and tis was my first progressive rock concert/envoronment experience! Nothing could have made this trip better:

Experiencing some of the best examples of progressive music today...

Meeting the DLBN gang whom I've learned to know and love over this short time...

Meeting Neal Morse, Nick D'Virgilio, and hantging out with the guys rom IZZ and Enchant, and getting one of my favorite guitars signed (which is from yesterday on, baptised as "Neal").

All in all, I had one of the best experiences ever, one that really got me thinking of the direction I want to take in my life, and I'm sure this trip, along with the Europe trip I took a month ago, will set the path for my future...

Ok enough existential crap.....Thanks so much to Moondog, Lurker, Jamie, Joel, Chris, grinch, Alien Love Child, Rene, Shawn, Lara, Mark, Rayna, Gruno, Papa J, BobL and JF for making this trip one of the greatest highlights of my life!

Can't wait til next year!!

Duke
Listen to AnoraKtion! the happiest hour on the DLBN. Every Thursday 2-5pm Pacific!

Offline Lavender

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 07:13:13 am »
Wow, what an amazing day July 3 was!   All of the bands were amazing on and off stage.  Class acts all the way!

Jim, thanks SO much for all of your hard work.  You did such a great job putting this together, and Mark and I are so thankful.   We really enjoyed being ticket takers/wrist band givers again and definitely want to offer our services as volunteers for next year's show :)

It was wonderful meeting so many people from the Dividing Line:  Shawn, Rene, BobL (thank you again, Bob), Lara, Frans, Monica, Joel, Chris, Mr. and Mrs. Lurker, Mark and Rayna, and everyone else.  We're so sorry we weren't able to say good-bye to all of you personally, but by midnight we were SO tired that we realized we'd better head for home or risk falling asleep at the wheel.  What an awesome group of people you are!  Thanks for making the trek out to Whittier for CalProgDay.  Looking forward to seeing you all again!

And thanks to the concert goers for your enthusiasm and for your patience between bands and the grace with which you handled the delays.  Hope to see everyone at next year's show!

Offline Frans

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
    • Share the Music
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 02:11:07 pm »
I echo all of the above and more. Meeting all of you made the trip worthwhile, the gigs, and the poolside concerto with everybody made it even better. I met so many people for the first time that my head is spinning, but let's see: PJ, Jeff, BobL (the undisputed hero), Lara, Lavender (and Mark), Monica, Joel and Chris, Mark and Rayna, Mike, Jamie, Alien Love Child, Duke, Gruno, Mephisto, Progrrrl, and a bunch more that will come to memory when I recover...

I was really bummed that I didn't get to meet Jairo and Carnivalman, but there will be a next time...

Thanks to Duke for having his Neal Morse signed guitar handy at poolside. It was so much fun we got kicked out by Security guards at 0-dark-100 and the fun continued in the hotel lobby...

Major thanks go to LTP for driving Shawn, Rene, and me to LAX via Laguna Beach inher Mustang convertible! Taking the roundabout way ruled!

I am still recovering...

Here are some pictures of the bands:

http://www.weedstash.com/CalProgDay/index.htm

Frans
The Rogues' Gallery. Every Thursday night from 8:00 PM - 12:00 AM Pacific.

http://www.thedividingline.com/rg.html

Offline BobL

• ::stumbles in::
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 03:29:24 pm »
Let me echo the previously shared sentiments.  

The weekend was fantastic, truly an opportunity to build memories.  I can see several moments of the experience being recalled and relived for years to come.

And as great as the music and performances were, they are all secondary when compared to the opportunity of meeting and remeeting so many friends and cohorts of the Dividing Line.   Your names have been mentioned, so I won't go through the list again, but let me agree with the others that seeing the faces and getting to meet one another was such a fantastic and marvelous opportunity.

And Jim...let me again say...thank you, your family and other volunteers, for all you did to provide so many such a memorable and lasting experience.

Bob

PS...Now for those of you that were not able to make it to the show...don't despair.  Start saving now, because although we don't know where and when, I can say with some confidence, the Dividing Line will have another event.  Based on the positive thoughts and experiences of so many, how could we not!

Offline chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 04:54:51 pm »
I wanted to say something eloquent about my experience at CalProg. But I just keep smiling and saying "WOW!" "Amazing" and "Great PEOPLE!" I concede. I now know why Joel spends so much time on the board and in chat now!  I finally GET it! You people are wonderful!
As Bobl said, I won't run through the roster either, but it truly was a great experience meeting every single one of you (and seeing old ROSfest pals, LTP and bobl, and Grand Parade pals Mark and Rayna).  I was blown away by the relaxed atmosphere displayed by both the fans and performers!  It had a surreal family reunion type vibe.
Papa J and his family and crew set the tone. It was clear you all were working your tails off, but having an absolute blast. How could it be anything but wonderful with that attitude! Thanks so much for a memorable event!
The bands....I don't know what impressed me more, the performances, or the between shows and after hours fun! What a great group of people. PERIOD!
Not a single pretentious person in the entire bunch!  
I won't single any particular band out, because they were all so amazing and wonderful. I have my favorites, enough said!

Lets see...Looking forward to the upcoming tour of IZZn't (new band consisting of Duke, Joel, Bob, Mike and Frank...Frans, Shawn and Rene were in on it too, but won't admit it!) I think the tour is to promote their first cd, Period.

Again, I loved meeting all of you! What a terrific bunch of people I'm happy to have met!

Offline Jairo

• Drummers do it better
    • View Profile
    • My site in my space.com
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 06:36:22 pm »
I was really bummed that I didn't get to meet Jairo and Carnivalman, but there will be a next time...

Frans

Awww, thanks a lot dude. I was REALLY BUMMED myself. You know, I was looking forward to the show but most of all just to hang out with you guys!
Reading all these posts, the common thing one can pick out right from the start is HOW AMAZING DBLNers are... well I just have to smile and think... HMMM SO YOU MET MY FAMILY.. HUH?... because that's the feeling you have from meeting these amazing individuals.
Yeah, that was the main attraction for me (I know the bands performed amazingly well and all of them were top notch prog bands) but nothing compares to being there with Monz, Papa, Rene, Shawn, Mark, Rayna, Bobl, Jf, Moonie and Gruno again and also meeting Frans, Duke, Lurk, ALC, Grinch,Chris, Joel, Jamie, LTP,, for the first time!!!!! :'(

But hey!, this was such a success that I'm sure there will be plenty of times to hang out...(and next time I'm going no matter what!!) ;D

...I cannot feel her hate, I feel her needing...