Author Topic: New CD and DVD trading site  (Read 7272 times)

Offline relhok

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
New CD and DVD trading site
« on: August 28, 2004, 11:30:20 am »
Hi All,

I've been working on a new site at my company called BarterBee.com.  The site is geared towards trading CDs and DVDs between users - kind of an ebay/netflix hybrid of sorts.  Since everyone here has a love of finding great new music, I thought I'd post about it.

Here's how it works:
After signing up as a member, a user lists their CDs and DVDs that they'd like to trade (they each have their own section on the site) , which are then available for other members to request.  Every item has a description, cover image, and production information for the requestor's perusal, all culled from our media database based on title or UPC code.

Each item you make available for trade is assigned a point value (on a scale of 1-25, most items tend to float around the 2-5 point range).  Members gain points by having their items requested, which they can then use to request items from others.  There is no monetary exchange between users whatsoever.  

Once a new member signs up, and as needed after that, BarterBee will send the user a pack of 5 padded mailing envelopes, along with cd sleeves for each.  Using these envelopes simplifies the process of sending discs & inserts - you don't have to arrange for your own packaging!  BarterBee also guarantees against damage or loss once a disc is mailed using our padded envelopes.

Our selection of music CDs is over 1250 different albums and growing... there's something new for everyone!

BarterBee.com is a paid membership service, with membership being a $4.95 per month charge, with envelopes available as low as .37 each, depending on the quantity you order after your initial free set of 5 are exhausted.  However - there are NO transaction charges or any other additional fees above and beyond membership dues and supplies.

Also, your first 5 envelopes are sent to you FREE as soon as you sign up, to get you going... All new members are also given 5 FREE points as soon as they've listed their first 5 items, to use as they please... 5 points can get you 2-3 items on average.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to my spiel... I've put a lot of work into the site and it's been a lot of fun to use it and see others use it to get new music and movies!

http://www.barterbee.com

- Captain Relhok

Offline PapaJ

• Matineers Unite!
    • View Profile
Re:New CD and DVD trading site
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 12:51:52 pm »
Hmmmmmm...

First post, not a listener, pitching a website: I smell canned MEAT!!!  :-X

Offline relhok

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 01:51:17 pm »
Actually, I am a listener (and paypal contributor), and I do spend time in the chat room while listening... I did ask Shawn in email beforehand if it would be OK to post here about the site, since we don't actually *sell* CDs.

thanks,

Chris
"captain relhok"

Offline FireBlade

• DLBN DJ
  • Play it loud!
    • View Profile
    • My forums are here
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 05:17:05 pm »
Me thinks Jim just got (internet buzz word coming up folks)

OWNED

;D

Offline PapaJ

• Matineers Unite!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 12:59:58 pm »
I'm not sure if I got "owned" or not, since I am not the hippest of internet cats. But I'll stand by my original assessment. If you follow the link, at the top of the 1st page in bold letters there's a "SIGN-UP FEE". Maybe they don't techincally "sell" anything, but money is changing hands, which qualifies it in my book.

This is Shawn's world, and what he says it what is law. I'm just sayin... by all standards employed on other messageboards that I admin, that would be considered a cannet meat product.

Own Dat, sucka.  :P

Offline relhok

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 02:04:33 pm »
Well, sure, it's a ~solicitation~.   One that I posted only after:

1. deciding that our project may have value for some DLN listeners
2. Asking Shawn if he would mind - his concern being that a site selling cds would compete with the Amazon link - no cds are being sold.

Whether it's "CANNED MEAT" or not depends on your point of view...  it wasn't posted blindly, and I'm completely willing to answer responses or questions.

The thing I kind of took some umbrage over was the assumption that I wasn't a listener or participant in the community, which was what prompted my reply.

cheers!

- Chris

Offline PapaJ

• Matineers Unite!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 04:04:48 pm »
If you were REALLY a listener, you'd know not to pay any attention to this old geezer!  ;)

Stand down corporal.

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 08:23:09 pm »
It is definltely written in such a way that it looks like an advertising.  I assumed you were going to post a quick link. :)  In a couple of days I'll remove this topic from the board archives (onnce everyone's had a chance to view it)

Seeya,

Shawn
--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Offline relhok

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 10:56:03 pm »
sorry bout that.  :-//

- Chris

Offline moondog

• HH, CE, S, DN, JA, SH, NDV, MP...
    • View Profile
    • The Latest News
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 02:36:31 am »
by all standards employed on other messageboards that I admin, that would be considered a cannet meat product.

Yeah, but KNH doesn't post here.

-f
--
frank@thedividingline.com

Join me at www.thedividingline.com
Friday nights 9PM Eastern for
The Friday Night Freakout!

Offline ich bin besser

• Representing Germany
    • View Profile