1 (3.8%)
Dream Theater
0 (0%)
Enchant
1 (3.8%)
Porcupine Tree
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Most Overplayed Band on the DLBN?  (Read 9640 times)

Offline Close2 The Edge

• I'm The Slime
    • View Profile
Most Overplayed Band on the DLBN?
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:05:20 am »
This has nothing to do with how much you like the band...it's all about how often you hear certain bands and you wish you had something new to listen to.  I often find that because I have such a huge music library (as do most people here I'm sure) when I hear certain music that I already own over and over it can get tedious.

although it's hard choosing 8 bands out of the 100's we play here I chose the ones that came to my mind right off the bat.

If you can think one you think is overplayed more than those, just post it below.

I went through all of the DJ's playlists for this week and it is surprising how often half or all of these bands come up on every show.  Once again - most of us love these artists, this is just about perhaps influencing some new music choices on the DLBN.
-Adam See-
Overnight Sensation --- Wednesday Nights 10-1 Pacific Time
Beyond And Before --- Thursday Nights 7-8 Pacific Time

"Well Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one"

Offline stormywater

• View Profile
Re:Most Overplayed Band on the DLBN?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 09:37:30 am »
I read this post not just 2 times but even 4 times. Then I spent more than 20 minutes thinking about it ( who dares to call this wasting time? ).

I think I am one of these rare people here who has not yet such a huge music library. I started listen prog-rock just about a year ago now and a great part of new cds is bought after hearing the songs at the Dividingline. I have to admit that I only listen Rogues' Gallery and I just listened the other shows a couple of times.

I never had a feeling that a band was overplayed there. Of course, you can't deny it is clear that the DJ is a huge Marillionfan but so am I. Even if half of the time he has would be filled with Marillion songs it would not bore me at all. Not even when he choses the songs that are on the cds I own.

I like it very much that if there is a new cd played in the RG that we often can hear the songs another time the next week. I also like the fact it is a mixture between new songs and old ones and even songs from more than twenty years ago. It would be very tiresome when a four-hour show would contain more new songs than it does now as I listen a new song in an other way than I listen a song I heard already a couple of times.

So, my answer to the question is: "I don't have a feeling that there is a band overplayed in the program I listen" ( and for this reason I did not vote)

Offline Close2 The Edge

• I'm The Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:23:09 am »
which makes perfect sense - you cannot really answer the question if you only listen to one of the 20+ shows on the station.  Someone like myself who listens to all of the programing here over the course of every month will end up hearing many of the same albums and artists repeated; coincidently I notice this on almost a daily basis.  

Not that there is any real problem with this, I love Marillion, Rush, ect... and I'll most certainly listen to all of my favorite shows and DJ's as long as I have access to the internet; this is in no way meant to slam any show or artist, it's just an interesting survey.

oh and for the record - I can never get enough Rush and Neal Morse but that's beside the point ;)
-Adam See-
Overnight Sensation --- Wednesday Nights 10-1 Pacific Time
Beyond And Before --- Thursday Nights 7-8 Pacific Time

"Well Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one"

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 04:28:01 pm »
My choice for most overplayed is Kevin Gilbert, but that's probably due in large part because just about everyone plays him, and because I just don't see what all the fuss is about. He's got some music I like, but overall I don't find it all that spectacular. (Yeah, I know...controversial viewpoint here and not likely a popular opinion, but it is mine, so...be nice.  ;) ).

Most of the bands you listed are bands that I can't get enough of, no matter how often I hear them.
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline ikilledtangerine

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 07:33:41 am »
I can't vote because I don't think any of them are overplayed. They're all good :D

Offline TheTrinity

• I wanna give you a permanent Gedache
    • View Profile
    • Counterparts
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 10:40:04 am »
Rush can never get enough airplay on here...Genesis on the otherhand..  ::)
Shape and form...against the norm

Offline PaisleyBud

• DLBN - Feel the joy!
    • View Profile
Re: Most Overplayed Band on the DLBN?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 07:25:02 pm »
Definitely Genesis because a lot of it is post their progressive era. Anything after Trick of the Tail does not belong here.