Author Topic: Favorite Live Performance  (Read 53360 times)

Offline relhok

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Favorite Live Performance
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2004, 07:03:14 pm »
1) What is the first live show you saw?
2) What is the last live show you saw?
3) What are three of your all-time favorite live performers?

1. Bob Seger's 1987 American Storm tour, with my mom (dad wouldn't go).  This is my first unless you count County Fairs... in that case, it'd be Quarterflash, Ronnie Milsap, and Three Dog Night in the early 80's. :)

2. Todd Rundgren, Bimbo's, San Francisco, last Nov.  Acoustic guitar/piano/b.s. with the audience set.

3. 1. Yes (6 occasions), with the ABWH '89 tour being my favorite show...immortalized on CD (Shoreline Ampitheatre, CA)
    2. Dread Zeppelin (12x and counting) - Always a fun show, interactive if you're up front.  Usually come home with 'artifacts'.
    3. Blue Oyster Cult (3x and counting)

- rel

Offline RushWife_Lo

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2004, 01:41:35 pm »
1) What is the first live show you saw?
2) What is the last live show you saw?
3) What are three of your all-time favorite live performers?

I saw this thread a while back, but didn't know anyone was keeping score...so I must vote

1) First live show that I'll tell you about was The Doobie Brothers in 1980.  A great show!

2) Last live show was RUSH's 30th Anniversary Tour in Concord, California...saw them 4 times in 8 days!!! WOOHOO!

3) All Time Favs
    1- RUSH of Course ;D...10 times and counting  
    2 - Queen...only saw them once, but WOW :o, it was such an amazing show!!  Freddie, RIP :(
    3 - Bonnie Raitt...I've seen her 6 times and she always makes you feel like she is playing just for you. :)

Offline rushfan

• Still attempting to solve the DLBN Llama mystery
    • View Profile
    • Mike's scrobbler
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2004, 08:34:03 am »
First Live Show - Boston/Sammy Hagar in 1979 - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - live music rocked!

Last Live Show - Marillion at Park West in Chicago. Definitely worth the wait, my first time seeing them after being a fan for 20 years.

3 Favorite Shows

Yes - In the Round 1979 - this remains the most awesome concert memory of all time. The last show of the tour - also, the last show with Jon and Rick for many years.

Rush - Permanent Waves tour - my first time seeing Rush. Another one for the ages!

The Musical Box - Selling England by the Pound - Atlanta
I could not believe my eyes...this show brought tears to my eyes, never thought I'd see this spectacle performed live.

This one most likely will be eclipsed when the Lamb lies down on Broadway in 2 weeks. NYC here I come...

Mike

"We all know success when we all find our own dreams. And our love is enough to knock down any walls. And the future's been seen as men try to realize. The simple secret of the note in us all..."

Offline Lunar Landing Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2004, 12:13:17 pm »
The first BIG live show that i saw was Theakston's Festival in the early 80s. The headline act was Jethro Tull and the first band on stage was a group that i had never heard of at the time by the name of Marillion.

The Last band that i have seen live was my favourite band... Marillion.

My favourite live acts are Jethro Tull, Marillion & a little known band by the name of Filth. They're still playing the English Pub Circuit but they put on a fantastic show, no fancy lights or pyrotechnics, just really great rock music.

Offline Oceans Flow

• I am not a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2005, 08:04:52 pm »
First Live Show--Simon and Garfunkel (1968)
Last Live Show--The Reverend Horton Heat(2004)
Three Favourites--
  Jimi Hendrix(1969)
  Laurie Anderson(1984)
  Rush(1997)
  And endless more, including The Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, The Jerry Garcia Band, and many more.
I can learn to close my eyes to anything but injustice.--Neil Peart

BB_Lamour

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2005, 09:15:17 pm »
The first live concert I saw was Kiss in 1979, the Dynasty tour, when I was 12.  Full makeup, pyrotechnics and blood, the whole nine yards.

My most recent show was Yes and Dream Theater a couple months ago.

I'll have to get back to you on my 3 favorites ... I can't whittle down to so few in a short period of time.

BB_Lamour

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
OK, here are my Top 3 concerts of the past 10 years:

1.  Pat Metheny Group - Speaking of Now Tour, 2002
2.  King Crimson - Thrak Tour, 1996
3.  Yes/Dream Theater - 2004

(4. A tie between scores of other brilliant artists and bands.)

I have a strong suspicion that The Flower Kings could crack this Top 3 if I am able to make it to CalProg.

afterimage

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2005, 01:46:54 pm »
#1 RUSH, opening night of the 30th Tour in Nashville
#2 RUSH, the return to the Limelight in Atlanta for the Vapor Trails Tour

foxbardave

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2005, 06:35:34 am »
First Show was 28 May 1971 in Greens Playhouse Glasgow with King Crimson, Fripp Collins Burrell and Wallace. Still the best show Iv'e ever been  to.

Last show was 21st Century Doors at SECC Glasgow. Ray and Robbie still rock.

Best three acts I have seen have to be King Crimson in any of the line ups that have toured in UK.
Genesis, I loved them with Peter Gabriel but when I saw the first tour with Phil Collins singing and Bruford on drums they were out of this world. The guy can sing a lot more than the money spinning ballads he went on to maake.
My last choice is difficult but has to be Yes when Rick Wakeman was with them. I loved Topographic Oceans even if he did not.

Offline eldoabrahamson

• I'm a deer!
    • View Profile
    • catherine of the woods
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2005, 10:29:28 pm »
The first live show that I saw was Hall & Oates in about 1982. The most recent one was...hmmm...it's been a while. I'll say Prince. Dude is a ripass musician! He copped a Stanley Clarke riff during his show and he was playing the bass and shit and then he broke into an acoustic set and it was just him singin' and playin' his git. Raspberry Beret never EVER sounded so good. As far as memorable live performerances go, quite a few stand out, really. King's X at the Key Club in L.A. certainly kicked major ass. They played for about 3 1/2 hours and we're having a lot of fun. Rush on the 30th anniversary swing through the Clark County Amphitheatre was easily the best Rush show I've ever witnessed. Walt Mink at First Ave in Minneapolis. Tortoise at the Roseland with Mary. Shellac at some dive in Seattle. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones back in '92 at the tiny 7th St. Entry, sidekick to the aforementioned First Ave. Rollins Band and Sausage in Seattle. Voivod at the Mirage. Hell, I guess there's quite a few. My bad, people.

L-Dopa
Give me a salty lick, darlin'!

Offline eldoabrahamson

• I'm a deer!
    • View Profile
    • catherine of the woods
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2005, 10:33:21 pm »
Oh yeah, how could I forget? This one was absolutely bomb. Absolutely. Stanley Clarke at the Aladdin in Portland. So fun, so mind-boggling! You have no idea.
Give me a salty lick, darlin'!

BB_Lamour

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2005, 11:56:58 am »
Stanley Clarke live in person, eh?!  I have some idea of how cool that must have been ... you lucky bastid!!  ;)

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2005, 04:16:13 am »
Gotta throw some fantastic performances on here from ROSfest. These were my favorites of the weekend (in no particular order):

Magenta
Arena
Kino
Cryptic Vision
Sylvan
The Tangent

All were exceptional!
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline ikilledtangerine

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2005, 07:02:46 am »
First - Rolling Stones
Last - Billy Idol
Favorite Three - The Who, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran

I had the pleasure of seeing the Who during the stripped down 2000 tour. No back up guitars, no back up singers, just raw music. Rest in peace John.

Robz1

Re: Favorite Live Performance
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2006, 02:59:02 am »
 ;D Hi there ,

First show was 4-11-1984 , Kiss with an unknown band (at that time ) opening .The unknown band was Bon Jovi.

The 3 best live performances are: Marillion (3-12-2005) IN in Utrecht ,best gig ever.
Monsters of rock (4-8-1988) Tilburg(Great white -Anthrax-Helloween-David lee Roth-Kiss -Iron Maiden)
Porcupine tree and Paatos (27-8-2006)Paradiso Amsterdam

Groedels Robz ;)