Author Topic: Zoltan out... Marcus in.  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Joel

• Quentin...Quentin...where are you?
    • View Profile
    • Interstellar Overdrive: The Website
Zoltan out... Marcus in.
« on: February 07, 2005, 03:24:11 pm »
Roine really is a dope...

After months of discussions, anguish and hard thinking the band have decided that Zoltan is, despite his obvious skills and virtuosity, not the drummer that The Flower kings complex music requires.

Zoltan is in many ways a master or even monster of grooves and improvisation and a man who lives in the present with a strong passion and presentation in what is happening "now", musically speaking. His chops are top notch and anyone who have seen the man in action knows he's one of the most expressive and passionate drummers around, we will all miss that part.

However, the direction that the FK music goes does not 100% fit Zoltans ways of musical expression and the drummer position is very, very critical for such a large scale project. This may all sound VERY strange or even impossible to believe for some of you,but trust me, things will improve and just trust the power of the music itself.

So now you ask yourselves, "is this the end" of the Jonas & Zoltan era? Regarded as the best rhythm section in prog (ever?). The answer is no, you will still be able to hear them in Karmakanic and I've also expressed interest in working with Zoltan & Jonas in other, more improvisonal projects in the future. I and the rest of the band wish Zoltan all possible luck in all the music projects he's involved with at the moment and we hope to keep you all informed about his future activities. I'm positively gonna continue diggin' whatever he's playing on .

So one star leaves and I'm confident saying that another one enters. We'd like to present to you Marcus Liliequist.

Marcus is a 24 year old drummer from Malmo, Sweden, who after finishing his musical education (same as Zoltan) have been playing and recording in various styles, leaning mostly towards rock. Marcus is a hard working drummer and very much in demand in sessions and touring, but has now decided that he wanted to be in a band and what better band is there if you want to express all passion or weirdness than The Flower Kings!!??

We think Marcus has all the skills, duration and knowledge that is required to fit in and execute & keep track of the complex music that we write and play with a passion and maybe even a bit of muscle, as thin as he may look. Yes we feel the music may take on a hard hitting rockier edge, while still keeping the rhythmic complexity and a bit of the jazzier flair.

Marcus will be doing his debut live with the TFK gang on the Instrumental tour that start in Hamburg on March 31st. Don't miss this!!!

Next to follow is the American tour and this will all be your first chance to check out Marcus playing with a full Flower Kings band, songs from Adam & Eve but augmented with a bunch of older classics and favourites.

Your Observer In Time
    Roine Stolt

I especially like the part about "best rhythm section in prog - ever". They must have some good weed in S-weed-en ;-). Better than Bruford/Wetton? Bruford/Squire? (ok Bruford hated Squire but they were still pretty good). Please...

Offline Close2 The Edge

• I'm The Slime
    • View Profile
Re:Zoltan out... Marcus in.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 07:05:28 pm »
yeah I really liked Zoltan's drumming as well.  Oh well I mean I'm more excited for the next TFK album now to hear this guy in action.  If the band was going to continue to make another Adam & Eve with Zoltan it's better that he left imo.  Although I do think that Unfold The Future is the best album the band has ever made.
-Adam See-
Overnight Sensation --- Wednesday Nights 10-1 Pacific Time
Beyond And Before --- Thursday Nights 7-8 Pacific Time

"Well Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one"

BB_Lamour

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 09:06:49 pm »
Something tells me the new guy will be exceptional.  Why else take Zoltan out of the mix if you don't have a better replacement?

Offline Steve

• Star Fueled and Galaxy Black
    • View Profile
    • Steve Turner Trio
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 05:46:58 pm »
It is a real shock.  I consider Zoltan as the BEST drummer in modern prog.  Bar none.  I would also consider Jonas/Zoltan as indeed the best drum/bass duo in prog of the last 15 years.  

If they have replaced Zoltan this next guy better be amazing...  I hope it wasnt purely on commercials (dollars) and that the reason was simply they couldnt afford Zoltan now that he has a bigger profile.  

He is a KILLER rock drummer - check out his work with Time Requiem - that is pure neoclassical rock...  The guy can do fusion, jazz and very energetic rock/metal...  

The new guy better bring something amazing to the mix.  
Check out my website at http://www.steveturner.com.au
Steve Turner CD Trio - with Evan Harris (Bass) and Zoltan Csorsz (Drums)

Offline ich bin besser

• Representing Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 02:03:49 am »
The new drummer did a very good job when I saw TFK on that instrumental tour recently. I think his name is Markus Lillequist.

"These are the mean little views of someone with the social grace of duckweed."
My updated music list