Author Topic: The Flower Kings - a muddled and incoherent concert review  (Read 4657 times)

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
The Flower Kings - a muddled and incoherent concert review
« on: June 07, 2005, 06:07:24 am »
I'm sitting here at work this morning and I can't stop thinking about what an amazing show last night was. Just over 2 1/2 hours of TFK magic. Part of that might be because I'm sitting here listening to the new Tomas Bodin CD (and LOVING it!).

It was great meeting so many great folks. There truly are no strangers among prog fans, only friends we haven't met yet.

I hope those who had the VIP tickets enjoyed the view! I was actually in pain at the end of the evening, as I have very flat feet and all the standing created a crippling pain in my heels that worked its way up to my spine just above my hips. Also my neck and shoulders are sore because I'm short and the stage was so high, so I was looking up all night! But it was worth it!  

So much incredible music that I can't even begin to sort it out in my head. I'm sure someone will fill in the gaps, but here is what I know they played:

Compassion
Last Minute on Earth / Eyes of the World
Love Supreme
Cosmic Circus/Marcus Drum Solo
Vampire's View (Roine on vocals and did a great job)
Church of Your Heart
The Truth Will Set You Free

(Encore)
Jonas Reingold Bass Solo for his Daughter (name?)
Stardust We Are (Part 3)
I Am the Sun

My only gripe is about the merch table in that 1) There were no more T-shirts, which was disappointing (though not the band's fault...it's hard to judge how many you'll need). And 2) I thought the CD prices were a bit high. Normally you can expect to get a CD cheaper at a show than you can at Virgin Megastore or online, but that was not the case last night, which makes me wonder if the venue was getting a cut of merch sales.

This in no way hindered my enjoyment of the show and were somewhat minor things, but it would have been nice to have gotten a shirt and I certainly wanted to pick up more CDs but the cost prohibited that from happening.

Being a first-time TFK concert goer, it really didn't matter what they played, but I'm happy they played Church of Your Heart, which is my favorite TFK song and it brought tears of joy to my eyes. Just an incredible night that I will never forget - being 5-6 feet away from Roine as he rips off those bluesy prog guitar solos. Hasse sang his ass off. And it was nice to see around 125-130 fans in the venue in this prog wasteland known as Florida. I personally thanked Tomas after the show for bringing the tour to Florida. It's nice not having to travel 1,000 miles for a good prog show for a change. What a show!

I'm spent.
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

BB_Lamour

Re:The Flower Kings - a muddled and incoherent concert review
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 07:08:51 am »
Lurk ~

Looks like pretty much the same set they played at CalProg.  They also played "Blade of Cain" from A&E.  If I recall correctly Jonas' daughter's name is .. Nora?

I too would have bought more TFK etc. CDs if they weren't priced as they were.  I think all the CalProggers snatched up the T-shirts, I didn't get one either.

I echo all of your sentiments about the show, these guys put on a fantastic live performance.  We'll compare notes soon.

\m/

BB

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 07:21:23 am »
Yeah, we were told they sold out of shirts at CalProg. Damn you CalProggers!  ;D

So the CDs were expensive out there too? Hmmm, wonder who does the pricing. I'm sure they could have sold a lot more CDs had they lowered the price (I was going to buy four or maybe three and the DVD), but maybe they figured that money into their budget to try to make a profit (or at least to not lose money). I don't mind as much when the money goes straight to the band. I would have paid 20 bucks for the new Kaipa at Virgin too, but then the band would have seen like $1.50 from that sale.

Looking at that setlist I'm thinking I'm forgetting something, but then the extended soloing really took those songs to new levels of "epic-ness." Soloing sometimes comes off as pointless noodling, but when this band does it, it seems interesting and seems to mean something in the context of the song.
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline Mindcrime1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 04:55:07 pm »
I,too am truly amazed at the show in St Pete on Monday night.Even though I had to withdraw money from the bank to get the DVD and Criptic Visions'collectors edition "In a World" the 2 combined for only $30. I wouldve bought more too,but I figured the DVD was enough for now.

As for the show itself,I cant really put into words how incredible it was. Standing in between Stolt and Bodin,swinging my head back and forth not to miss any of the action,and catching the occasional glimpse from Bodin helped make my night.
 Froberg's voice blew me away. The guy laid it all out there and sang perfectly in tune and with grace and POWER!
Reingold is so fluent,he even makes the most difficult passages look easy.
Bodin really impressed me(being a keyboardist myself),his technique and style are exactly what I look for in a keyboardist:fluent,dramatic and supportive.
And Stolt,what can you say. He comes off as a quiet genious not only in the way he looks,but especially his playing and writing.
 Having never listened toTFK up until about 3 months ago, Ill be buying and listening to them constantly. My kind of band.
The Spirit Carries On!

Offline Mindcrime1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 10:14:59 am »
 On another note related to the Flower Kings show,I found out that John Zahner,the keyboardist for Cryptic Vision is touring with John Oliva's (Savatage,TSO)Taj Majal.I was pissed when I found out in Oliva's website that they played a gig in May in New Port Richey Florida. I guess they may be playing more dates in the US after they get through with Europe.Im a big Savatage fan,even though the Lurker hasnt quite caught on yet! A few good Savatage CDs to start with are "Wake of Magellan","Chance" and "Edge of Thorns".A couple of the other guys from Cryptic Vision have also done some work with Oliva/Savatage too I found out.I need to keep my eye out for more local gigs by these guys here in FL.
The Spirit Carries On!