Poll

How would you rate Neal Morse's "Testimony" album?

A Masterpiece (Need I say anymore?)
12 (41.4%)
Very good (It will stay in my CD player for a long time)
7 (24.1%)
Decent (I'll definately keep it near by)
2 (6.9%)
Average (I can take it or leave it)
0 (0%)
Below Average (It just doesn't have the spark that I love about Neal's music)
1 (3.4%)
Horrid (I can't bring myself to listen to it again)
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Thoughts on Testimony  (Read 16654 times)

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
Thoughts on Testimony
« on: October 09, 2003, 02:38:10 am »
Please feel free to include explanations for your thoughts here.
--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Offline gary

• View Profile
Re:Thoughts on Testimony
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 08:15:43 am »
The music is awesome and the lyrics don't bother me at all.  Although I can understand some people's opinions that some of the themes are repeated too often, I think the ones are most repeated are very strong musically, so I don't mind hearing good passages multiple times. Actually, the harmony section that appears twice in Break of Day is one I wish would have been repeated elsewhere (much like the harmony sections in the beginning of Spock's Beard's The Bottom Line - wish that had come back again in that song at least)

Offline moondog

• HH, CE, S, DN, JA, SH, NDV, MP...
    • View Profile
    • The Latest News
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 10:57:00 am »
hehe. good to see Gruno got to the polls early!  ;)

Progressive rock is my favorite genres of music and I've been into it for over half of my life. Needless to say, I've heard much of it. I'm also a Christian (and a non-religious one at that).

This being said, I am personally overjoyed at the lyrical content of Testimony (the music's a given anyway). It's really, really refreshing to hear lyrics like this after many years of hearing songs about magic forests, elves, rivers of constant change, etc. Nothing against that mind you, but for me personally, I LOVE having hooks stuck in my head like "Legals and Legalities...", "Sing it High, Sing it Low..." etc., for a change.

</soapbox>

--
frank@thedividingline.com

Join me at www.thedividingline.com
Friday nights 9PM Eastern for
The Friday Night Freakout!

Offline Rene

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • eh?
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 03:42:53 pm »
I haven't heard more than a few short excerpts from Testimony and I haven't read the lyrics. I refuse to download an illegal copy and I don't feel inclined to buy a copy. So I guess I can't participate in this discussion. ???
ProgRoots, Sundays @ 7pm Pacific
on The Dividing Line

Alistair

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 10:10:03 pm »
I am sorry but this album proves that NM has lost his last marble... it is rolling down the street and he has this stupid grin on his face.

God told him to leave the band??  Give me a break, if he is hearing voices he should consult a shrink.  He is using that as a crutch to justify a decision he didn't even want to make.  

This new album is so blatantly full of religous rhetoric I am ashamed to admit I love the (previous) music of this brilliant man.  And while I'm on that topic, what a frekin' waste of incredible and rare talent.  Anyone can write generic drivel, that is what made NM so great... but now he is down with the simple musicians writing stuff that doesn't stand out from his previous work.  

It's just so sad...

Alistair

Offline FireBlade

• DLBN DJ
  • Play it loud!
    • View Profile
    • My forums are here
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 02:45:53 pm »
I find the music on Testimony to be really good.  It's not up there with classic Beard or TA, but it's solid, if not a little predictable and repetitive at times.  I've tried to see through the lyrics, but i'm affraid I just can't.  Not only are they incredibly cheesy but the whole christian thing really wears thin quickly with me.  Whilst I respect Neal's views, I can't understand them and this album gets 2/5 stars from me.  Feel Euphoria on the other hand gets 4/5 and there is clearly still room for artistic development there, while Neal appears to be treading water.

Offline Holly

• Always be willing to fight for what you believe in
    • View Profile
    • Holly's site
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 12:41:46 pm »
I have to say I agree with fireblade's comments above.
The music is alright, but I just can't seem to get past the lyrics.
I resspect neal's beliefs, and his right to have them, but at the same time my personal life makes it such that I really can't take the lyrics right now.  I won't go into details here though.
Home is not a place, it's wherever your passion takes you.
____
Check out the greatest discovery tuesdays at 4 pm pacific on the dividing line

Gruno

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2003, 02:32:43 pm »
Seems like "The Dividing Line" in general (thus far) has not taken to "TESTIMONY". Interesting.

--- GRUNO ---

Offline posmaster

• For Fraternity, Liberty, and my Llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 11:21:27 am »
From what I've heard of it - I enjoy the musical aspect a lot, it's got a lot of great Morse moments in there - the reason I have yet to order it is not so much the (christian) content of the lyrics, as their overall mediocre quality. So... I'll probably eventually pick it up, but It's not something I feel compelled to get just yet.

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2003, 12:30:57 pm »
I think that "Feel Euphoria" is an average album for the most part with a few good tracks thrown in for good measure. Unfortunately most of the things I loved about the beard dissappeard with the departure of Neal. That really affected their sound in my opinion. However, that being said, the album is definately not a bad one. It's decent enough, it's just that with the Beard I've come to expect a certain sound and style which is no longer there. Having said all that, the same rings true with Neal's "Testimony". He is an amazing talent to be sure, but without the Beard dudes to throw their stylings into the mix it's just not the same. Of course, nobody is saying it has to be the same, but for me, that sound was what I truly loved about the beard, and now it's gone. I thought it would be ok when Neal released his latest album, but because I've had some extremely nasty experiences with religion hurting the people I care about, I can't keep a clear head when listening to "Testimony". I find myself getting angry more than anything, and that's no good. I'm sure the music has some cool parts, but I can't get past the content.  It's going to take quite a while for me to truly come to grips with the fact that the Beard I knew and loved isn't around anymore.
--

Offline moondog

• HH, CE, S, DN, JA, SH, NDV, MP...
    • View Profile
    • The Latest News
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 04:55:40 pm »
because I've had some extremely nasty experiences with religion hurting the people I care about

Just curious here but who do you "blame" for this: God or man?

Again, just curious...

--
frank@thedividingline.com

Join me at www.thedividingline.com
Friday nights 9PM Eastern for
The Friday Night Freakout!

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 09:22:49 pm »
I don't blame anyone.... I just have had some really bad experiences with organized religion to the point where now when I hear anything to do with it I go the other direction.  I will always respect everyone's right to believe what ever they wish, that is the most important right we as humans have.  I don't, and would never claim that one particular religious group is wrong, I don't know that and I would never impose my beliefs on another person.  It's just speaking personally, I have a hard time with it all because of my experiences.

Seeya!
--

Offline Jamie

• Geekboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 10:33:22 am »
The Christian content doesn't bug me a ton, but a few tracks get a little too close to that old time gospel thing, which doesn't do too much for me.  If I wanted to hear gospel choir stuff, I'd pick up something by the Gaither's.  Still, I like Testimony a lot, but I definitely don't feel it's a masterpiece.  It does contain that classic Neal sound which is quite tasty, but there are spots that seem almost "too" reminscent of previous Neal works.  It doesn't compare imo to my favorite Beard discs, Kindness of Strangers or Beware of Darkness.  Of course, neither did Snow, and I still got a lot of pleasurable spins out of it.

slainté
Jamie

Offline kravitz

• am i alone in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2003, 06:03:11 pm »
As not much of a prog fan, I really didn't have any expectations whatsoever. Moreover, I've never really been bit by the Spock's Beard bug, so I couldn't understand what all the hooplah was about with the falling out or whatever.

That having been said, I am a fairly new-found christian, so I decided I was gonna get it just to hear the message. So Testimony hit me on two fronts - the rare fresh sounding prog music, plus some very uplifting lyrics. I really dig it, and even bought a copy for my pastor.

I know alot of you think that the album is too heavy-handed. As I sit and look at the paragraph I just typed, I am quite surprised at what I just wrote. If you had told me a year ago that I would sing along with such songs, I would have laughed and spit. But here I am, and it really is how I feel. I hope that some of you may one day come to feel it too.

Offline tristessa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 04:17:24 pm »
I don't blame anyone.... I just have had some really bad experiences with organized religion to the point where now when I hear anything to do with it I go the other direction.... I have a hard time with it all because of my experiences.

I understand how you feel Shawn. Growing up with my mother and step-father, I had religion shoved down my throat. I had to spend on average 9 hours a week at church, and it wasn't one of those calm and sane types of churches, it was raisin' your hands and screaming HALLELUJIA! and talking in tounges and shit. The hypocricy of it all made me sick to my stomach. Still does. I think alot of people associate Christianity with that kind of behavior, and that's why they have such a negative feeling when they hear Christian music. That and the fact that 90% of Christian music is crap and people like to lump it all together. I had an incident the other day on the internet station I dj at...we played a song by a band named Switchfoot, then played a Marilyn Manson song. Switchfoot is a Christian band, so when it came time for the talk break I made a small comment how it was funny how we would play christian next to antichrist. Well, I got the shittiest e-mail from some dude saying "you guys have really gone down hill, playing Christian music?! play, more metallica and [some other shitty band]" I got really pissed. The song is played on secular radio and if i hadn't said anything, that jackass would have never known. I guess I just get upset when people automatically lump all Christian music into the "shit" catergory. As far as "Testimony" goes, I really enjoy it. There are times when I hear the lyrics and I have flashbacks of when I was forced to go to church and listen to my parents' music. But for whatever reason, I don't lump Neal into the catergory of an uneducated Christian. Also, the cd is more of his own personal feelings, rather than preaching of hell and damnation, and I can deal with that. I don't necessarrily agree with all Christian views but I agree that ppl should be able to believe what they want and not be persecuted for it. I think the hate for religion stems from the way many religious people come off toward others. I can listen to Neal because I don't get that from him. You just have to learn to seperate the good from the bad.

damn...what a long post...sorry.

number of times I said the word Christian:  9