Author Topic: Your Passion For Prog  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
Your Passion For Prog
« on: October 14, 2003, 02:23:12 am »
Hey all,

I wonder how many of us here are one of the only people we know (locally) that has a real passion for Prog Rock?  Is it just me or do we seem few and far between?  I have found that many people I've spoken to are most often alone in their love for prog.  You know, when everyone gives you a funny look when you say you're a progressive rock fan.  The internet seems to be the place where we all congregate because it's not location specific.  Has anyone else noticed this?  
--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Offline moondog

• HH, CE, S, DN, JA, SH, NDV, MP...
    • View Profile
    • The Latest News
Re:Your Passion For Prog
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 10:17:09 am »
I guess I understand this too.

It's funny - when i mention bands that I'm into, say Spock's, TFK, etc., all I get is a blank stare...even the name Dream Theater provokes the same reaction!

I guess I'm out of touch - and don't wanna be any other way!

--
frank@thedividingline.com

Join me at www.thedividingline.com
Friday nights 9PM Eastern for
The Friday Night Freakout!

Offline Jamie

• Geekboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 10:22:05 am »
I know quite a few prog people locally, but that's mainly because I'm part of a local prog appreciation group (prog geek club :P).  We are called the Colorado Art Rock Society, and it started 4 or 5 years ago after a couple of local guys met each other at a progfest (can't remember which one).  They started meeting at a local restaurant once a month with a few other like minded friends.  They started putting out leaflets at prog related concerts, and more and more people started coming.  The hub is online at yahoogoups which has over 100 members, and usually around 30+ show up for the monthly meetings.

I found out about it when the founding member discovered Singularity online, and asked us to come to a meeting around the second or so meeting.  I've been going ever since, and have discovered a bunch of new bands and friends because of it.  I agree that the internet is the most likely place to find other progheads, but you might be surprised at how many are actually close by.  Sometimes they just don't know there still is a prog scene to get excited about.  Old time fans of Yes, Crimson and Genesis, who haven't heard about the new prog are out there.  I know at least a few of the CARS members were like that, until they saw one of our fliers at a Yes show or Rush show, and joined up.

slainté
Jamie

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 01:35:37 pm »
Wow how cool is that!  The only people I know locally who are into prog are Alistair and Rene.  I met Alistair via a friend of mine on the net back in 99.  Rene was originally a DLBN listener.  Other than those 2 people, I don't know anyone who likes prog that's located here.  I get tired of trying to explain prog to people and getting the silence in return for my efforts. :)  I'd love to have a group like yours here in Vancouver, that would be awesome!
--

Offline BobL

• ::stumbles in::
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 09:36:40 pm »
Jamie's story is cool...and it is especially cool Shawn, because there is nothing stopping you from founding VARS (Vancouver Art Rock Society).  Unfortunately, for nearly everyone, there just does not seem to be enough time to stoke the fire underneath all of our passions and interests.  I think you personally are already devoting a lot of time, resources and energy to this marvelous online society known as DLBN.  I don't intend to recriminate you into thinking that you should also foster a local prog society.

I know there are many prog fans in and around the San Francisco Bay Area, but I must confess that time is one of my most precious commodities and I do not have the time, energy or inclination to create and promote a flesh and blood prog-community here.  I am pleased to have the online prog connections that I have, remote and distant though they may be.

One last thought, I must be honest and say that I don't really think of DLBN as a true prog-based station.  Sure there are a slew of classic and new prog songs pushed over the internet from DLBN, but I feel that the whole station is truly more broad and eclectic that just prog.  This is not meant to be a negative comment or a slight, just a personal observation.  True, I am primarly a fan of progessive rock, in many of its forms, but I also like a much broader array of tuneage.  I am pleased to be a part of DLBN, even if only as a user and listener rather than a contributor of content.

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 01:50:54 am »
Thanks Bob!  Without you guys this station would not be around, simple as that.  I too am happy with the community we've built here.  A lot of great people and a lot of great music and that's really what it's all about. Bib, remember you can always sign up to be a pirate radio / fill in DJ here!  You know you want to! :)
--

Gruno

I Dont Have A Passion For Prog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 02:22:35 pm »
I think prog fans are few and far between. I enjoy liking many genres of music. Look at my recent playlist and you will see a very diverse set. Many artists that I know others will NEVER listen to. I will almost never get  stuck with being somewhere and having them play music that I detest because I tend to like a little of it all with hard rock/metal/pop being the mainstays.

Prog seems to cast its own dark circle around itself. Moreso certain prog fans who deem it necessary to have an elitist approach towards other genres of music to make the illusion that prog is dominant over anything else.

--- GRUNO ---

Offline kravitz

• am i alone in this?
    • View Profile
comPassion For Prog
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 04:34:08 pm »
I'm prolly the only listener this place ever got on account of David Baerwald. That is how I started after Gruno was out whoring himself off on other message boards.

Though I have known about quite a few prog bands, I gave it nary a thought as a genre. I always liked Rush, and have liked some Kansas and (ashamedly) even once went to a Yes concert.

Overall I would have to say the prog is a side dish, and from the sound of most of the new stuff, a dish best served cold.

Offline Rene

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • eh?
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 11:09:59 am »
Jamie's story is cool...and it is especially cool Shawn, because there is nothing stopping you from founding VARS (Vancouver Art Rock Society).

Good thing we're not from Surrey (SARS)!!
ProgRoots, Sundays @ 7pm Pacific
on The Dividing Line