Author Topic: "Guilty Pleasures" Says Good-Bye To DLBN  (Read 20323 times)

Gruno

"Guilty Pleasures" Says Good-Bye To DLBN
« on: August 27, 2005, 08:37:47 am »
After 3 years of a ride, the final stop for "Guilty Pleasures" will be this Monday, August 29. After that, Mondays will never be the same... so join me one last time as we go on this memorable journey. Many guests who have frequented "Guilty Pleasures" will be joining me for one last time LIVE!

Show starts at... 7pm Pacific!

--- GRUNO ---

Offline OldRUSHfan

• I'm DAMAGED.......and I LIKE IT.
    • View Profile
Re:"Guilty Pleasures" Says Good-Bye To DLBN
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 03:59:02 pm »
Well, well, well.  Shawn and Alistair finally shut you down eh?  The only freaking breath of fresh air on the whole site, and it gets thrown out because S&A are being pricks about PROG.  You know, Gruney, their just jealous of all the industry insiders you know.  The same thing they did to Papa J.  Great way to run a site, guys...no wonder the other jocks are leaving..... >:(

Offline Jairo

• Drummers do it better
    • View Profile
    • My site in my space.com
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 07:28:57 pm »
OK, I'LL JUST COPY THE POST I SENT THE LAST TIME THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN... I GUESS I WAS NAIVE AND THOUGHT ALL DECISIONS HAVE TO BE WELL THOUGHT OF BUT TIME HAS CHANGE THAT CONCEPTION. I REMEMBER THE DAYS LIFE WAS EASY AND COOL HERE AT DBLN. I GUESS THE ONLY THING THAT HASN'T CHANGE IS THAT YOU STILL HAVE ALL MY LOVE AND SUPPORT GRUNO, AND THAT YOU STILL ROCK BIG TIME!

Re:Gruno cancelled??
ę Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 11:39:10 pm Ľ

Wow this is really a shock for me.... Come on guys, why oh why are you going to cancel one of the most charismatic DJ's of this station... what?...  are you going to play it safe? COME ON!,  isn't this supposed to be a 'progressive' radio station,?  how progressive is to punish a DJ for being himself?... I am a proghead, that's true, but I really enjoyed Gruno's point of views. He is just the balance to us all, the one who can tell us in our face that sometimes a proghead is just a no head when it comes to accepting music in general, that we should open our minds and ears...He is the other side of the story and therefore WE NEED HIM!!. I can't believe his show is being cancelled after all the hard work and effort he has put in to make DBLN a comfortable place... can you say SHAWN-A-TON?????... man, this is sad. DONíT WE, THE LISTENERS, HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO REVERSE THIS DECISION? DONíT WE HAVE THE RIGHT FOR AN EXPLANATION? DONíT WE GET TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT??
For all itís worth, Gruno, you have all my love and support!! You ROCK!!! Big time!
Jairo.

...I cannot feel her hate, I feel her needing...

Offline PapaJ

• Matineers Unite!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 07:42:20 pm »
Slowly whittling away at the originality in the broadcasting line-up. Now it's just another safe and sterile prog web-radio station. There are 100s of them, and nothing left to make DLBN stand out in that crowd. They used to take chances, and set the bar... now they are firmly planted in the status quo.

We still love you Gruno, and where ever you go, your listeners will follow. There are still places that embrace the original and the unusual (thank God). March to whatever drummer you hear.

Offline Mary

• DLBN DJ
  • Rock Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Underdog Prog - A Progressive Music Broadcast
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 08:00:38 pm »
I am sorry to see you go Gruno, I agree about the creativity and spark he brings to Guilty Pleasures and the DLBN.  

Let's not lump all the other DJ's into a mainstream category as this had nothing to do with them.  None of us had a say in this decision and I, for one, would have handled things so very differently.

Another DJ said " Take a look at the lineup of shows we have right now.  Those who do play a majority of prog are able to do so and still manage to sound very different from one another. Does Carny's show sound like anyone else's? What about Mikebo's show or BnL's "Rush Hour" or Whistler's all-Tull show? No, I'd never confuse these shows with one another because they have carved themselves a very distinct and important niche within the station's format. "

Peace Gruno, you wil be missed.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Frank Zappa ~

Underdog Prog
Saturdays 4-7 pm Pacific

Offline DaveP

• DLBN DJ
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 08:46:10 pm »
I am hoping you will reconsider. My wife and I are big fans of your show. Hell, if every show sounded the same I wouldn't have gotten hooked on DLBN in the first place. I have plenty of music to play right here in my house. But I want the surprises.....and the enlightenment.

Just say NO to wallpaper!

DaveP

the_wife

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 09:19:52 pm »
Hmmm-how honest should I be......Okay, I honestly think the station has suffered from the dj's that have already left and will suffer more from Gruno leaving.  I enjoy the diversity that is and was brought by the djs of DLBN.  Honestly I would NOT listen to an ALL PROG station, anymore than I would listen to an ALL anything station.  I have 15 presets on my radio filled with classical, classic rock, alternative, talk, jazz, etc....... I do not like any one station all day.  When my husband introduced me to DLBN I was excited to hear all sorts of music-I even listened when he wasn't here one day and discovered MMGator's show-cool!  Now he is gone, gruno is leaving, and hmmmmmmm, diversity begone aparently-(let's hope the ACLU isn't listening....)  

Offline Joel

• Quentin...Quentin...where are you?
    • View Profile
    • Interstellar Overdrive: The Website
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 10:43:04 pm »
I think I'm more amazed at the hypocrisy of it all. Now none of this is aimed at anyone personally, so don't take offense, but we have a Beatles show every week (yeah yeah, Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road maybe, but Love Me Do?). We've got a Zeppelin special coming up, you know I love ya Epic Mike, Zeps a lot of things, but prog isn't generally one of them. You want to start an arguement among prog fans, just mention Rush. Prog, not prog, just an old classic rock band? OK, we'll let that one slide. Marillion has done nothing but denigrate the entire prog genre while distancing themselves far from it. Ask h, he'll tell ya (I'm sure he has).

In reality, you probably had a better case for terminating Gruno the first time. This time it's just obvious you're looking for an excuse to get rid of him. So just tell him so. Don't hide behind the format, come right out and tell him we don't want you here anymore.

This is all supposed to be fun, a hobby, sharing music with your friends, nothing more, nothing less. None of us are going to get our big break in broadcasting. None of us are going to make any money doing this. The record companies consider us a blip on the radar, glad for the exposure, but certainly not being supported by it. How many of your maybe 50 listeners are going to actually buy that new album you played on your show? 10%? That's 5 CDs, 4 of which probably would have been bought regardless. Perspective needs to be regained, and someone need to take away Alistair's keyboard, because everytime he touches it, something bad happens.

Gruny, I love ya brother. Stay in touch.

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 11:56:54 am »
Hello all,

As many of you know by now, Gruno has decided to bring his show to an end on DLBN.  Because this show has been a part of the station for such a long time and its upcoming move has generated some concerns amongst a portion of our listeners, I wanted to offer an explanation for anyone interested in learning more.

Lately The Dividing Line has been going through some changes that have resulted in some shows coming to an end.  DLBN has introduced a lot of new shows in the last year or two, and in recent months we agonized over how the station seemed to be wandering farther and farther away from its progressive rock roots.  It seemed we were losing focus, so last month we put it to the DJs that we wanted to try to steer the ship back on course.  We knew that in doing so we would likely lose some DJs and their shows, but that was a calculated risk we were willing to take in order to reach our goal.  

We began with a message asking for feedback from all DJ's.  As expected, reaction was mixed, but generally supportive.  Those whose shows were less progressive rock oriented predictably raised more objections or simply tendered their resignations.  Again, no surprises.  As somebody who runs the station, itís my responsibility to ensure I am doing the best I can to ensure it stays true to its originally intended concept.   Our mission statement reads as follows:

ďThe Dividing Line Broadcast Network is an Internet radio station and virtual community dedicated to providing music fans with an online experience that is  second to none when it comes to entertainment and information programs in the Progressive Rock genre, in a safe and relaxed environment.Ē

After asking all the DJs for input and taking the comments of those who chose to reply into serious consideration, I came to a decision and asked that all our shows ensure that theyíre playing at least 85% progressive rock music when broadcasting.  Since the station advertises that itís progressive rock in nature, I believe it only makes sense to ensure thatís what we play.

Some have expressed the concern that by taking this action we could be causing our content to be stale and replayed over and over again.  Frans Keylard (Rogueís Gallery) addressed this point best in a recent email discussion amongst the DJs in which he states the following:

ďI would like to add that it should be easy to carve out a niche for yourself as a DJ because there is no much prog that never gets played - droves of bands that aren't getting any exposure at all. Just take a look at this wonderful resource:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp.

It lists oodles of bands in all sorts of categories. We haven't even scratched the surface!  Personally I focus mostly on Neo Progressive, Space Rock, and
Progressive Metal, and there's a whole lot more to discover. Just this show I discovered Satellite, and now I am checking out Twelfth Night --- and those were even listed in the 15 key bands section of Neo prog! We're just babes in the woods.Ē

At any rate, it was because of this content change that Gruno felt he could no longer continue broadcasting at DLBN given that his show is non-progressive in nature.  While it is true that at the time Gruno signed on to do a show with us it was started with the understanding that its content would be distinctly the opposite of everything else thatís being played on the station, this was over 3 years ago and the station has drastically changed since that time.  We are a river of constant change and what was right for us once might not necessarily be right for us again.  That being said, let there be no misunderstanding - we appreciate everything Gruno has done for the station during his time here and have the utmost respect for him and his broadcasting.  But I do and will continue to stand by the decision to increase the stationís focus on the progressive rock genre - this will not change.

Naturally, there are people who disagree with this decision and feel that Grunoís hand has been forced.  I respect that viewpoint and understand why some may believe this to be the case.  We are doing the best we can to bring everyone a positive and enjoyable listening experience but also understand that we canít please everyone all of the time.  To those people I would simply state that if you feel unhappy with the direction the station is taking, there are many other internet radio stations out there that may be more to your liking.  I invite you to check them out!

The very fact that some have such passionate concerns, has and continues to give me great joy because every message of this nature reinforces that weíve managed to create an environment that people care about enough to become so emotional about itís twists and turns Ė so for that I thank you all.  However, Iíd ask that when addressing this issue that it be done outside of chat.  If anyone would like further information (or simply somebody to yell at) I invite and encourage you to email me privately.  Iíd ask that people keep discussions from the chat room during somebody elseís live show as this is a volatile topic which has the potential result of escalating into heated and personal attacks.  This is no fun for the DJ broadcasting nor for those who are trying to listen to that personís show.  After considering all that was said, I was the one that made the final call, not any of the DJs.  Keep in mind there is always room on the message board for people to speak about this issue while at the same time not detracting from anyone elseís listening experience.  All I ask is that people be respectful of others when doing so.

In closing, I along with the rest of DLBN wish Gruno all the very best in the future.  As was the case with Joel Craig, PapaJ, and Gary Saur, Iím sure Gruno will be gladly (and rightly) embraced by a station that is a greater compliment to his style and broadcasting talent.

Cheers,

Shawn

--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Offline rushfan

• Still attempting to solve the DLBN Llama mystery
    • View Profile
    • Mike's scrobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 01:20:44 pm »
As a frequent listener to this station I feel that these moves have really taken a toll on the environment around here. I've met some great people here and was very sorry to see Chuck, Steve ( MMGATOR ), and Gary leave. What has made this station a fun place to be has been its diversity. Now I'm afraid that the DJs are being brought into something that has always troubled me - the what is prog debate. I really don't care what is and what isn't, we all have our own ideas and it just seems pointless for the playlists to be subject to this type of review. I say all this because I care about the future of this station and I'm sure others feel the same way.

Just wanted to offer this listener's point of view.

Mike

"We all know success when we all find our own dreams. And our love is enough to knock down any walls. And the future's been seen as men try to realize. The simple secret of the note in us all..."

Offline envertigo

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 01:28:55 pm »
This is wrong. From everything I've seen so far, Gruno didn't *decide* to leave DLBN. DLBN *decided* to drop Gruno. And immediately at that. Have enough respect for what listeners you still have to not portray the situation as anything other. There was no indication during any one of his programs that he was thinking of leaving The Dividing Line. Honestly I don't understand how any independent radio station, online or otherwise can possibly afford to get stuck up about what they play and who plays it. This show was a beacon for me. And as far as being non-prog oriented? Please. You want me to list all the Prog cds I've had to track down because of what Gruno played during his show? And I mean *track down* as none of the stores around here even heard of those bands. Where's the problem in playing Porcupine Tree next to Iron Maiden? Dream Theatre after Bif Naked. Good music is good music and GP showed that categories mean nothing. 85% Prog or else? If you want to pigeonhole yourself into blatant obscurity, then keep it up. You know how many other prog stations there are out there? I wasn't listening to prog before Gruno's show. I hadn't even *heard* of DBLN before Gruno's show.  And I certainly can't understand how a 'professional' such as yourself could allow something as base as jealousy of the attention and ego that the attention was given to a show not your own, could get in the way of what was best for the station itself and allow a show as great and as *popular* as Guilty Pleasures to be dropped because DBLN isn't getting the attention that *you* personally prefer. What you should be doing is being damn grateful that this indy online station is getting *any* attention at all. Lots of other prog stations out there. Too many stations in general who base content solely on a category. I like DBLN. I want to continue liking DBLN. And I started listening because of Gruno.

I hope you're happy. I hope you're satisfied in killing off one of the best radio shows DBLN offered. And honestly? Outside of GP and Carny's show, I don't know that I'd want to continue listening to The Dividing Line.  You're not in a postion to turn any listener away.

Remember that.

Offline Vince and Daisy Jane Font

• DLBN DJ
  • Prog'opolis is prog nonstop'olis!
    • View Profile
    • Prog'opolis
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 01:37:25 pm »
Obviously you've been led around by Gruno. You really think this happened because management is jealous of Gruno's popularity!! You are kidding right?!  :o And Gruno wasn't canned, he quite because he knew he couldn't follow the focus of the station.
Isn't he great at playing the victim?  ::)
Jane
------------------------------------
PROG. The other white meat.
http://www.thedividingline.com/p

BB_Lamour

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 01:43:13 pm »
*pops popcorn*

Offline envertigo

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Biting the hand that feeds.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 01:58:07 pm »
I'm not talking about popularity. I'm talking about any kind of independent station who thinks it's in a position to choose what listeners it wants to have. How many people started listening to The Dividing Line because of GP over the last three years? How many have picked up other programs because of GP? You think they would have just happened upon it otherwise? Maybe. But I doubt it. But what I'm seeing is the powers that be at DBLN kicking out a show that largely contributed to the popularity of this station. I'm not just talking about Guilty Pleasures. I'm talking about all the other people "who decided to leave." I don't believe they're in a position to do that they way they did.  

Why would it take three years for DBLN to tell Gruno he's not following format? If that was truly the case GP should have been let go a long time ago.

I'm not being led around by anyone. I'm seeing this for what it is.

amBer

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 02:11:49 pm »
It's obvious from the mix of posts that this community has its own set of politics, just as anyone would expect. These behind the scenes dynamics are meaningless to me.  I am speaking from the perspective of a music lover, a fan of many genres, artists, and bands.

'Guilty Pleasures' is what led me to The Dividing Line. Would I have listened to it on any site? Yes. However, it happened to be here. And I'm glad it was. What I love about the show is the diversity in not only the music being played, but the people listening (and chatting). We became a little community who enjoyed exploring a myriad of musical genres. Through the GP forum, I have been introduced to a wide spectrum of music that I would have never encountered otherwise. Each week, I'd have at least one new band or song I'd want to further explore. Much of this music falls into the 'prog rock' category. Who would have thought? Guilty Pleasures, although very different from other shows, served as a link for music lovers to the prog rock world. Many of us are grateful we had the opportunity for this exposure. What a shame it will be when this link is broken. No matter what happens, it is obvious that 'Guilty Pleasures' has become an enjoyable part of many people's lives. We will be around to support it wherever it may go......