Author Topic: "Guilty Pleasures" Says Good-Bye To DLBN  (Read 20254 times)

Offline PapaJ

• Matineers Unite!
    • View Profile
Re:"Guilty Pleasures" Says Good-Bye To DLBN
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 02:23:40 pm »
It seemed we were losing focus, so last month we put it to the DJs that we wanted to try to steer the ship back on course.

As somebody who runs the station, it’s my responsibility to ensure I am doing the best I can to ensure it stays true to its originally intended concept.

…this was over 3 years ago and the station has drastically changed since that time.  We are a river of constant change and what was right for us once might not necessarily be right for us again.

Am I the only one that finds this just a little confusing? Are you trying to go back to what your original vision was, or are you embracing being "the river of constant change"?

Offline envertigo

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 02:37:03 pm »
>>'Guilty Pleasures' is what led me to The Dividing Line. Would I have listened to it on any site? Yes. However, it happened to be here. And I'm glad it was.

That's exactly how it was for me as well. I've picked up several 'prog' cds from listening to Guilty Pleasures. Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Kino, Dream Theatre among others. There are several others I'm looking for.  I liked this station. I liked this show. But the feeling is that GP is being dropped for reasons other than format considerations. That much is clear. And the way things were handled, it was almost like telling everyone who listened to GP that they weren't good enough for The Dividline Line. Like being kicked out of a restaurant when you've already paid for dinner. And it's a shame. Guilty Pleasures was a perfect introduction to Prog. Several times each and every show a song would come on and chat would go exactly like this:

"What do you guys think?"

"This is great!"

"I like this. Who did it?"

"It was these guys. You can find them 'here'."

Just that a lot of people aren't really seeing that it was a benefit to the station that Guilty Pleasures was a part of the programming. And it's really going to be sad a week from Monday when there's nothing to listen to.  

Monica

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 03:57:13 pm »
Many of you know, I am not a frequent visitor or user of message boards.  However, this felt like a most appropriate time to come out of my shell & express my sadness about these recent programming changes, and communications from “Station/Promotions Manager” (some promotion..oy vey!!).

I’m a DLBN veteran, going on listening and supporting this station for nearly 4 years.  In my time here, I can assure you that I’ve witnessed this station go through some really high times (Shawn-A-Thon, or the time when the team worked together to get the station and chat back online after the server was stripped) as well as witnessing some real lows (the night the plug was pulled, because someone didn’t like the game and took his ball home (Those that have been around here long enough remember that night).  It feels like the station is going through a real low again & it is really so sad to witness.

Many long-time listeners can relate to what I’m talking about here….a few years ago, the chat room was standing-room-only with real listeners; not just dj’s.  It felt like home.  Discussions were entertaining and varied; music, movies, family issues, politics, gossip (of course) and fellowship.  When many of us met at ProgWest in 2002, it felt like we had known each other for years.

The programming and dj personalities were like a buffet….something for everybody!  And of course plenty of prog being served!

This most recent event has left such a bad taste in many mouths.  It appears to many of us that this is really a witch-hunt and is more “personal”, rather than let’s get back to 85% prog programming.  We’ve seen this flare-up before, between certain dj’s….refer to the message board for the “history”!

The Dividing Line has become just that….a sad division (divide) of what made this place so special to many others and me.  Shawn, my friend, please reconsider.

Monzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 04:04:37 pm »
Well, there seems to be some unfortunate knee-jerk reactions going on. Some of this is no doubt related to events that happened right before I discovered DLBN and that doesn't surprise me all that much. There was bound to be some people looking for a link, as if management really needed an excuse to get rid of ANY DJ they wanted at any time. It has happened at least twice in the past year, if I recall correctly. None of us have a contract.

I don't think that DLBN management can win. They get criticized for too much non-prog content, but then they get criticized for cutting non-prog content and trying to make this a more prog-oriented station. This was not a "Gruno hunt." You don't cut off an arm to amputate a finger.

The management trio called me, and all the other DJs, several months ago, to try to gauge where the station was and what our thoughts were. I don't know how the other DJs answered, but my personal reaction to being asked about the station was to turn the question back on them, saying: "It's YOUR station. Where do you want it to go? What do you want it to be? You can't do anything to improve it until you know the answer to those questions. And I can't tell you my own personal opinions on how to make any improvements if I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here."

In the months since the initial round of phone calls, there have been additional calls to the DJs. Management has also revamped the website (nice job, Rene) and came up with a clear vision for what they wanted the station to be, which is represented in the mission statement. They saw that the station was drifting further and further from that statement and asked for feedback a month ago (or so) from all DJs. I don't know if every DJ responded, but from talking to Shawn & Rene, I gather that the majority supported their vision, so they went ahead and adopted the change.

Did that affect some shows? Yes. Did it chase DJs away? Not directly, as everyone was (as far as I know) invited to stay, but in a way, yes, you could probably say that it did.

I can tell you that as a DJ, management made it very clear to me that they are NOT trying to argue the age-old horrible question of "what is prog?"  In fact, they stated (in as many words) that if a song is borderline in any way, it's not even an issue. It was made clear that non-prog was not banned, but rather they simply asked us not to play large blocks of OBVIOUS non-prog, and to try to keep our prog content at around 85% or so (that 85% includes the borderline stuff). I hope I'm not stepping on management's toes in revealing this, but I felt it was important that the listeners know the truth behind these recent events.

I wasn't here at the beginning. I found this place on a Tuesday night in late 2003, after doing a web search for internet prog radio. The first show I heard was mikebo's "Strange Universe," which drew me in and captivated me. I came back a few nights later and heard Moondog doing his "Friday Night Freakout" program. I was hooked and have been here ever since. Would that have happened if my first visit had been on a Monday night? I suppose that would have depended on what was playing at the time, but it's likely I would not have come back (I was, after all, searching for an internet prog site, like many other first-time DLBN listeners).

Now, here on this message board, I see people, who I've never seen outside of Gruno's chat, weighing in on this issue. It's certainly within their rights to do so, and I would imagine they'll happily follow him wherever he goes. But, I would hope they could find something here that they like, as we have many unique shows.

I think it's a gross injustice to say this station is maintaining the status quo or not taking chances. I like the additions of our 'specialty' shows, like Whistler's and Scozart's. I liked the idea of doing specialty shows so much that I gave up an hour of my regular show to do one myself. Vince & Daisy, Mary, Eric and several other DJs are constantly bringing new bands to my attention.

I agree with Mary in that I don't feel there is a lack of variety or originality on this station. Everyone brings something different, but if there is some overlap, well, that happens. If many of us love the new Porcupine Tree album, many of us will play it. Does my show sound like Critic's Carnival? Progopolis? Underdog Prog? Strange Avenues? I don't think it does, but I'm sure someone will correct me if they think otherwise.

Sorry for the novel, and Gruno, I wish you the best of luck in the future.
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline jF

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 04:26:38 pm »
I can understand getting rid of Gruno, he only gets tons of people at his show, gets Interviews from *Real* bands like Spock's Beard and Tears For Fears. *Real* inside  interviews, Gruno being part of the machine you don't get the run of the mill "What's your favorite color" stuff. He has opened the ears of the listeners to newer bands like Powder and Stimulator (Thanks Gruno) and overall he has made this station a better place to listen to. Yeah, lets KILL him.......Good to see that Moe, Larry and Curly are alive and well at the DLBN.

-jF

Offline envertigo

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 04:42:26 pm »
Thanks Lurker, that sounds better. :)  

Maybe it was the quickness of GP getting cut. Maybe that was DLBN's decision, maybe Gruno's, maybe if there was any kind of notice from DLBN more than "the last show is Monday" things wouldn't have risen so highly. That GP was dropping/being dropped and that it was happening near immediately gave a severe impression that something was up. Accurate or not, that just gave a certain impression, and message board helped that further. The program meant a lot, and there's a ton of people I look forward to chatting with every Monday. It's obvious I'm new to this board, but the fact I'm just now posting doesn't mean I'm not familiar with DLBN. ;) Just that most of the time I listen is when I'm at work or doing other things. I chat on Mondays because that's the time I put everything aside to go online for a while. Mainly a time thing. I personally enjoy DLBN, and despite any background politics, I'd like to stay. I've picked up a lot of bands from this station, and Guilty Pleasures was the show that introduced them and the other DL programs. It's a shame to see it leave..

Offline FireBlade

• DLBN DJ
  • Play it loud!
    • View Profile
    • My forums are here
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 09:18:21 pm »
Oh dear, it's all getting a bit sad isn't it.  

I'd love to be able to be at this last show, G-man, but I have a meeting at work.  If it finishes soon enough, i'll be sure to try and catch the end.  I can't see a problem with you getting a gig anywhere else mate, so rock on!

Offline gary

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 02:33:20 am »
Now, here on this message board, I see people, who I've never seen outside of Gruno's chat, weighing in on this issue.
Oh, you mean people like  Monica, OldRushFan, Rushfan, Jairo, Joel & PapaJ?  Yeah, they're Gruno-only fan boys & girls.  ::)

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 05:55:12 am »
Now, here on this message board, I see people, who I've never seen outside of Gruno's chat, weighing in on this issue.
Oh, you mean people like  Monica, OldRushFan, Rushfan, Jairo, Joel & PapaJ?  Yeah, they're Gruno-only fan boys & girls.  ::)

I'm certain that you know I wasn't talking about the folks you mentioned.
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline kravitz

• am i alone in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 07:25:11 am »
Can't I leave you kids alone for a couple months without everyone imploding?

I know the real reason for Gruno's departure is that the roadie business is just too lucrative these days. Get his pay back to all the ditchweed one can smoke and all the warm Blatz one can swill and he'll be back in a flash.

Offline OldRUSHfan

• I'm DAMAGED.......and I LIKE IT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 05:42:12 pm »
I listen to Grrrls show on Saturday nights because she's a great person and she plays a GOOD VARIETY of styles.  I believe I haven't heard an 85% prog show since her first night.  Gonna can her too, fellas?  Disgusting. ::)

Offline PapaJ

• Matineers Unite!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2005, 02:30:04 pm »
But she has something going for her that Gruno didn't: She's GOOD LOOKING!!!

:-*

Offline Rene

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • eh?
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2005, 10:19:34 pm »
Gruno's last show on DLBN was truly a blast.  Yes, I listened to the entire show.  There have been a lot of opinions expressed about Guilty Pleasures leaving The Dividing Line.  In my mind, that's a good thing.  It shows that you give a damn.   Some truths lie somewhere amongst it all, as do some misconceptions.  But I do not wish to debate it.  I have no ill will toward Gruno or any of his supporters.  I would simply like to thank Gruno for all he has done for DLBN while he was here, and I wish him all the best in his future endeavours.  I hope, and fully expect he will resurface on another station.  If he does, it's a win-win situation for everyone.

Cheers!
Rene
ProgRoots, Sundays @ 7pm Pacific
on The Dividing Line

Offline DoritosGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2005, 05:55:52 am »
***My oh my oh my oh my!!!  I haven't been here for a very long time and decided to tune in to listen to some great tunes while I sip my coffee on this relaxing Sunday morning (DLBN is perfect for that on a Sunday morning) and WOW!  Interesting stuff!  Here are a few of the quotes I found most interesting...

From Vincent, Daisy, Jane Font...Obviously you've been led around by Gruno. You really think this happened because management is jealous of Gruno's popularity!! You are kidding right?!   And Gruno wasn't canned, he quite because he knew he couldn't follow the focus of the station.  Isn't he great at playing the victim?

***No actual comment here but smiling and nodding my head!!!!***

From The Lurker...I can tell you that as a DJ, management made it very clear to me that they are NOT trying to argue the age-old horrible question of "what is prog?"  In fact, they stated (in as many words) that if a song is borderline in any way, it's not even an issue. It was made clear that non-prog was not banned, but rather they simply asked us not to play large blocks of OBVIOUS non-prog, and to try to keep our prog content at around 85% or so (that 85% includes the borderline stuff). I hope I'm not stepping on management's toes in revealing this, but I felt it was important that the listeners know the truth behind these recent events.

***Which makes complete sence and people can comply or not (as in ANY job.)  If you choose to not comply, you can stand your ground and fight and hope for change, but ultimately it may not happen and then inevitably a split is most likely to happen.  (And someone mentioned "sudden"...this was not sudden...this has been going back and forth for years...)

Again from Lurker...Now, here on this message board, I see people, who I've never seen outside of Gruno's chat, weighing in on this issue. It's certainly within their rights to do so, and I would imagine they'll happily follow him wherever he goes.

***Whatever are you talking about, Lurker?!  You mean those barely-twenty-something groupies in mini-skirts and tank-tops don't listen to more shows than GP?!  "Throw me a candy bar!  Me!  Me!  Over here!  See my boobies bounce!"  Hahaha!  

And my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE FROM KRAV!!!...Can't I leave you kids alone for a couple months without everyone imploding?

I know the real reason for Gruno's departure is that the roadie business is just too lucrative these days. Get his pay back to all the ditchweed one can smoke and all the warm Blatz one can swill and he'll be back in a flash.

***Kravitz...you are SOOOO BAD and I love ya!  Would this be a good time to post "The Helping Stage Hand" picture?  HAHAHA!!!  (By the way, I tried to find the picture of you on the Powder website, but didn't see it...call me or email me and tell me where it is.)

***In regards to DLBN...the shows ARE diverse even when within the parameters of the station programming.  I have enjoyed MANY of the shows here and find the shows AND their DJ's to be quite different and unique.  I, for one, am looking forward to coming back and being able to TRULY enjoy listening again.  In regards to Gruno...what Gruno is truly best at is PROMOTING GRUNO.  Gruno will be perfectly fine and yes, "they will follow him"...they will follow the trail of candy in their 4" acrylic heels-hahaha!  Everyone will grow from this...people who love DLBN will stay here and enjoy the great programs that DLBN offers...some people ONLY came here because of Gruno and they will leave DLBN and not come back but will be happy continuing to be a part of Gruno's world...and if Gruno ends up with a show somewhere else, then some people will enjoy both and it will not be a loss, but a gain!  

***Gruno HAS to stir the pot.  If you know him, you just know that and it's of no surprise that he would not comply with the "85%" and many people who know him would be disappointed if he did...then he just wouldn't be "Gruno."  

***GOOD LUCK GRUNO!!!  

Offline envertigo

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2005, 01:34:31 pm »
What was here was a b*tchy response. I've edited this on the hopes that DoritosGirl's post was meant to be taken sarcastically and with a sense of humor. I'm giving an incredibly large benefit of the doubt. I'm not a 'groupie'. Neither is anyone else here who might have 'just happened' to have started posting. I've had several people from or with the station insinuate that I am both 'a groupie' and a 'fan of Gruno rather than a fan of DLBN' and to be frank, that pisses me off. What I had originally posted was on the level of DoritosGirl's, but honestly, I've spent enough time trying to not be judged here. And I'm exhausted of the effort. I'm sorry I haven't been here since the start of DLBN. I truly apologize for discovering this station thru Guilty Pleasures and not thru some other program.

Many of the DJs complained that no one from GP ever showed up to chat on the other programs. "I've never seen these guys post outside of Gruno's show" "These people are only here for Guilty Pleasures, they never show up on anyone else's chat" How does this matter on a radio program? I've been asking because it's come up a lot. A lot. Would it be worth mentioning that I 'chat' on Mondays because that was the time I set aside in my schedule to do so? I listen at work, or when I'm home working on projects but it doesn't matter because I don't (or *can't*) jump online and chat? Would it honestly matter to anyone who was complaining?  I've yet to hear a response. I'm sorry my week wasn't free enough to jump online whenever it would have mattered to be counted as a 'listener.' Honestly, from the majority reaction we've received since starting out on DLBN with Gruno's show, much less daring to post here, it doesn't seem like any of us "GP people" would have been welcome or wanted on any other program besides GP. I don't understand this Catch-22 way of thinking. So what happens when I try to chat more? When I try to be online for more shows? Will I be a poseur then? Will I still be treated like crap because I started out as one of GP's 'groupies'?

So it's fine. Seriously. If you want to post here for the first "in a very long time" and automatically assume that I and several others who bothered to speak up for the first time are some of "those barely-twenty-something groupies in mini-skirts and tank-tops don't listen to more shows than GP"? "Throw me a candy bar!"? "See my boobies bounce!"? Then? Basically? F*ck you for doing so. You don't know anything about me. And I'm not on here judging people based on what 'music' or 'programs' they listen to over others. You have no idea how f*cking insulting that is, and I'm getting really tired of people on this station making that assumption. You who you are.

I'm not leaving this station. But I'm not wasting my time online anymore trying to justify my existence to a bunch of hypocritical elitists like certain people here. I'm not going to allow a few presumptive incompetents to get in the way of hearing good music. And I'm not going to degrade myself to cat-fighting with anyone who can't possibly know who they're talking about. One can hope you're more respectful to people who've been posting longer, since those who mainly listen are apparently screwed from the get-go. Maybe you thought us 'GP people' dropped the station after last Monday. Hopefully you don't feel as stupid as that post made you look.

I'm done here.