Author Topic: Favorite Prog Artist debut album  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Joel

• Quentin...Quentin...where are you?
    • View Profile
    • Interstellar Overdrive: The Website
Favorite Prog Artist debut album
« on: October 28, 2003, 05:10:28 pm »
Seems like very few of the "classic" prog artists made a huge impact with their debut albums. Who are some of your favorite artists who, after hearing their debut, knocked your socks off.

I've got 3 off the top of my head:

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King: came out in '69, and except for the dreadful Moonchild, this is still one of the all time great prog albums.

Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear: hard to believe, but I was exposed to this on commercial radio in Chicago in '83, and I was instantly blown away. This is still considered a favorite among the Marillion faithful.

Jadis - More Than Meets The Eye: I love these guys. Just great, melodic prog music. I first heard of Jadis through the Marillion fan club, I believe they toured together at one time. However, I wasn't exposed to their music until I figured out how to use a computer 3 1/2 years ago and discovered internet radio. Jadis was one of the first bands that made me stop what I was doing and look at the playlist to see what I was hearing. Of the entire Jadis catalogue, this remains one of my favorites, and gets lots of time in the CD player.

What are some of your favorite debut albums?  ???

Offline gary

• View Profile
Re:Favorite Prog Artist debut album
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 09:35:59 am »
Debut albums that were my first exposure to the band:

Alias Eye - Field of Names
Transatlantic - SMPTe

Debut albums that weren't the first I heard from the band, but are excellent:

Saga
A.C.T - Today's Report
Spock's Beard - The Light
Zebra
Kansas
From Genesis to Revelation - Genesis (most people hate this record, but I think it's great, strings and all)

Sim

Re:Favorite Prog Artist debut album
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 06:32:09 am »
Too many to bore you with a l o n g list here; so I picked out 5 off the top of me head!!!

1)  Spocks Beard - the light

2)  RPWL - god has failed

3)  Iluvatar

4)  Arena - songs from the lions cage

5)  Ritual