Author Topic: New Show @ DLBN - Progressive Concepts!  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
New Show @ DLBN - Progressive Concepts!
« on: October 08, 2006, 03:49:02 pm »
Hello all,

I wanted to send a note out to let everyone know that we have a new show here at DLBN!  Progressive Concepts hosted by Dana Jackson will be premiering tomorrow afternoon and continue a weekly run every Monday starting at 3:30pm Pacific Time.  While the majority of shows on The Dividing Line focus on single tracks at a time, Dana’s show will consist entirely of one album each week interspersed with a number of fascinating tidbits and insight!  Here’s a rundown on the show from Dana himself.

“What is art? Painting? Literature? Music? If painting, surely the bold and broadly stroked canvas is the pinnacle of its art form. If literature, certainly carefully crafted and well-wrought novels and poetry are the shining examples. And what of music? What is the single track but the orphaned chapter of a greater story? The outline of a figure not yet fully defined? Songs, especially in progressive rock, are often part of a bigger picture, a fuller art form. In the spirit of this larger view of things, “Progressive Concepts” brings music in an album-oriented format to the listener, focusing on the entirety of the artistic statement that a band delivers in one body of work.

This show endeavors to place an emphasis on concept albums, those collections of music that are particularly intended by the artist to tell a story or narrate a conceptual idea or emotion through the lyrics and music. In this sense, “Progressive Concepts” covers a broad area of progressive rock’s genre-bending borders. From the ethereal regions of Pink Floyd and Marillion to the metal edge of Queensryche, Dream Theater, and beyond, expect to hear nothing but great albums in their entirety. Stop in for a listen; you might hear something you didn’t even know you were going to love!”

On behalf of DLBN I’d like to welcome Dana on board and encourage everyone to check out his show – it really is excellent!

Cheers,

Shawn
--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: http://www.thedividingline.com/btl

--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl

Offline Dana

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
    • Links to me...
Re: New Show @ DLBN - Progressive Concepts!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 07:40:20 am »
Thanks Shawn...just to clarify, depending on album length there could be more than one played in any given show.  In fact, this today's will feature The Alan Parsons Project AND Pink Floyd.  Double bonus.

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 09:59:18 am »
Sounds like my monthly installments of "Epic Concepts" has just become superfluous.  Congrats on the new show, Dana!
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline Dana

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
    • Links to me...
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:55:51 am »
Sorry for comandeering your idea....keep playing your segment though.  It isn't as if the world is running out of concept albums/songs...

Offline Dana

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
    • Links to me...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 07:43:20 am »
Thanks to everyone who stopped in for a listen yesterday afternoon.  Despite being plagued with microphone volume issues and an entirely unexpected loss of broadband connection, the show was a success.  I'm looking forward to next week!

Offline Brad

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 12:39:40 pm »
Great show Dana,

I really enjoyed it, next time I will try and come into chat.

Welcome aboard.  ;D

Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand...

RushHour & After RushHour Tues 6-8 PM
Only on The Dividing Line
http://thedividingline.com