Author Topic: Celebrating Three Years of Epic Prog!  (Read 4140 times)

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
Celebrating Three Years of Epic Prog!
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:35:33 am »
Extended Online Family,

Please help me celebrate three years of broadcasting on The Dividing Line this Friday. It's hard to believe I've been doing this every Friday night for three years. Quite a hobby! Thank you for letting me share my music collection with you.

As it's the last show of the month of January, we welcome the return of "Epic Concepts," and on tap for that feature will be the Jethro Tull classic, "Thick as a Brick" in its entirety. The fun begins at 9 p.m. Eastern. Feel free to simply listen or join us in chat.

And tune in an hour early to get a peek at the forthcoming Neal Morse album "Sola Scriptura" on The Healing Colors of Sound, starting at 8 p.m. Eastern.
The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline The_Lurker

• YaBB God
  • I know a thing or two about her.
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating Three Years of Epic Prog!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:34:42 am »
I had some thoughts on broadcasting here at the DLBN for 3 years and posted them in my blog on my MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/lurkermichael), but then I thought I might as well post them here as well, so here they are:

Thoughts on Three Years of Epic Prog

Well, this Friday night will mark the 3-year anniversary of my Epic Prog program on The Dividing Line (www.thedividingline.com). When I started doing the show, just as a fun hobby, I never imagined I'd stick with it this long. I figured I might get bored with it in a couple of months. But then...guess what? I didn't.

It's been a blast sharing my music collection with people who share a lot of my interests and taste. I've enjoyed unearthing some new music, meeting up-and-coming musicians who just want someone (ANYONE!) to hear their music, learning about many bands from all over the world from listeners and folks in the chat room, and just hanging out and spending time with a lot of great people. It's like when I was in high school, and invited friends over to listen to whatever records I had just bought. Now my "record collection" is enormous, and my "bedroom" is able to accomodate a worldwide audience, but it's still just as fun to explore new worlds through music.

Some of you folks who listen to the show never come in to the chat room. That's fine. It's not for everyone, and in many parts of the world, it's just too darn late at night. But I do think it's a great place to meet other folks (possibly who live near you) who share a common love of great music. Sometimes the chat room can take very unexpected turns. I've learned about a lot of great books, movies and TV shows from the great people who hang out in there with me on Friday nights.

Of course, I have to thank my mighty Archive Army! Thanks to all of you who have sent me kind emails, just to let me know you're listening. Thanks for the well wishes when my mom passed away. And of course, thanks for all the great requests over the years. Some of the best requests have been emailed in from all parts of the world (well, except Antarctica). Keep 'em coming!

To all who listen, know that I appreciate you more than you can imagine. There are nights when the chat room isn't so lively, that you really do wonder if anyone out there cares, or is listening at all. Then I'll get an email from Germany or England or Australia or Italy or Chile or Canada or wherever, and it tells me that someone out there hears the music and appreciates it, and I enjoy having someone out there to share it with. Let's face it, the music many of us like isn't exactly easy to find. Hopefully, I've introduced some of you to interesting bands you weren't familiar with, just as many of you have introduced me to lots of talented bands and musicians.

I'd like to send out an extra special thanks to those few of you who have been with me since the beginning, when I used to broadcast very late (1-4 a.m. my time!) on Monday nights. We've been through a lot together. You were there for me when I lost my job and was unemployed for four months. You were there when I found a new job. You've been with me for two moves, including one to a new city. And of course, there was the fun-filled hurricane season of 2004. Lastly, many of you were there for me last month, when I lost my mom. That meant more to me than you will ever know.

Who knows how long Epic Prog will continue? But as long as I enjoy doing the show, am able to broadcast, and enjoy playing my music for friends and strangers, scattered all over the world, I will keep it going. Thanks for listening, and for reading this novella of a blog!

The Healing Colors of Sound & Epic Prog with The Lurker
Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern
ONLY on The Dividing Line
www.thedividingline.com

Offline scozart

• DLBN DJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:43:03 pm »
Amen to your letter to the droves of folks who we know so very well, and those we'll never know were there...

The magic of what we do transends our hobby - it IS an influence!

Offline Mary

• DLBN DJ
  • Rock Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Underdog Prog - A Progressive Music Broadcast
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 01:09:32 pm »
Congrats Lurker!!!!

8)
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Frank Zappa ~

Underdog Prog
Saturdays 4-7 pm Pacific

Offline Shawn

• Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • If life were perfect it wouldn't be any fun!
    • View Profile
    • The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 05:14:41 pm »
Cheers to ya Lurkie - and congrats!  I bow before the Epic greatness!!!
--
-----------------------------------------
Shawn Bishop: shawn@thedividingline.com
Station Owner - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network
http://www.thedividingline.com
Behind The Lines: www.thedividingline.com/btl