SHOW #1 Breakaway Day - September 13, 2007
For my first show, I've taken a very random selection of songs to try and set some boundaries, before I proceed to cross them in future shows. Some of the more-expected progressive tunes with notable keyboard work like Genesis, Styx, Echolyn, Spock's Beard, Clearlight, Kaos Moon, and even ELO, mixed in with electronic musicians like Rick Wakeman and Larry Fast define the two major genres I'll be exploring.
Diverging a bit, however, we have a tune by Colourbox, an English electronic outfit on the 4AD Records record label in the 1980s. Releasing a number of records from 1982 until 1987, the band was formed by brothers Martyn and Steve Young and had their first hit with "Pump Up The Volume," released under the name M/A/R/R/S.
Star People is a band I discovered in 1999 when they opened for Ozric Tentacles in San Francisco, and, of course, Ozric Tentacles, we all know.
Victor, a solo project by Rush's Alex Lifeson, brings us another divergence, strictly for its amusement value. Alex, shouting "SHUT UP!" to the yapping wives brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.
Dave Stewart (no, not the one from the Eurythmics), formerly with the English progressive rock mainstay National Health, brings us his remake of 8 Miles High, with Barbara Gaskin (also from National Health on vocals).
Finally, we end with a little-known group called NASA, with some retro-funky electronic pop.
* Christopher Ambler - Gates of Delirium Show Intro
* Electric Light Orchestra - Prologue
* Electric Light Orchestra - Twilight
* Clearlight - Ergotrip
* Colourbox - Just Give 'Em Whiskey
* Rick Wakeman - Sir Lancelot and the Black Knight
* Spock's Beard (Ryo Okumoto) - Ryo's Solo
* Star People - In Time
* Victor - Shut up Shuttin' Up
* Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude
* Annie Haslam (featuring Larry Fast) - She's the Light
* Synergy (Larry Fast) - Classical Gas
* Echolyn - A Little Nonsense
* Genesis - In The Cage
* Styx - Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
* Barbara Gaskin / Dave Stewart - 8 Miles High
A quick sidetrack into Italian prog (and one piece of cheese)
* Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Traccia II
* Premiata Forneria Marconi - Il Banchetto
* Gino Vannelli - Storm at Sunup
And we finish the show with...
* Kaos Moon - Eternal Light Avenue
* NASA - Cloud Control
Show Notes -
Bed music: Nodens Ictus - SpaceLines. One of the many side projects from members of Ozric Tentacles.
Questions? Comments? Chris@TheDividingLine.com